Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

what do you think???????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you think???????????

I'm with Monte and carver....I love my 30.06. It does have a slight problem, though, since it's a Browning semi....They tend to jam, especially in the cold. In fact mine came from my brother-in-law in Alaska because he got tired of it jamming on him. Easy on the arm, good knock down, pretty good range with my scope, doesn't tear things up.

Old 02-07-2003, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

dunesreamaaa, your likely to allready know this but, you cant leave any lube in a semi auto when hunting in real cold conditions. take it apart clean all the moving parts w/alcohol before using & let set all night. you wont hurt anything unless you plan to fire hundreds of rounds!

Old 02-07-2003, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

Carver...Yeah, my brother (my hunting partner) told me that's what I should do too....I'm afraid I've been lax in that area. Guess I shouldn't whine about it not working right when I don't heed good advice on how to fix it. No worry about shooting hundreds of rounds around here anymore...and getting worse by the season. Anymore, with fewer green dot hunting areas, shorter seasons, and multiple poachers, the gun hunting around here is almost not worth doing anymore. We have both decided to switch to bow for this coming up season. He even already sold most of his rifles. I'm down to about three shooters myself, but can't bear the thought of parting with my 30.06.

Thank you for the tip, carver...I really need to take better care of it than I do. It's a great shooter. Even with not taking care of it and the occasional jam, it's put venison in our freezer for quite some time.

Old 02-07-2003, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: thud
I would say a 7mm Mag or the 300mag. Both are flat shooting hard hitting guns, with ample punch to take down ALL north american big game . 338 is just over kill on deer and if you do alot of shooting you will have to figure in the shoulder replacement surgery as well LOL

Thud, If I understand correctly, you feel the 338 is overkill for deer but the 300 and the 7mag aren't? What are you going to do when you need to put down one of the big bears and you don't have the horse power, All the outfitters I've spoken with seem to call the 338 a minimum when going to the far north.

Recoil on my 338 is nothing to be concerned with. If you can handle an 06 you can handle my 338. The 7mag and the 300mag gain you only 150 or so fps over the standard chamberings at a trade off of more expensive ammo and the need for a mag action to support the belted cases.

The 06 is my all time favorite cal. but there was mention of critters with teeth and claws.

Old 02-13-2003, 02:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Old 02-15-2003, 12:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm with dangerous on this topic. If you think you'll be huntin alot of the BIG bears, .338 Win is the minimum. It's easy to down-load a large caliber and tailor it to smaller game, but it's really tough to git a small cartridge loaded up to replace a large-bore.

Old 02-15-2003, 01:24 PM
Trailblazer

my votes for the 30-06........ because it's what i use

Old 02-16-2003, 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: thud
I would say a 7mm Mag or the 300mag. Both are flat shooting hard hitting guns, with ample punch to take down ALL north american big game . 338 is just over kill on deer and if you do alot of shooting you will have to figure in the shoulder replacement surgery as well LOL
Hell my 458 dont kick bad and i am only 155 pounds and 5/9 the 30.06 is a nice deer gun.... Hell my wife shoots a 7mm took a black bear at 275yd last year 1 shot and put its dick in the dust she shoots my 300mag for moose... I try and still am trying to get her to shoot my 375 ultra mag but she is smater then that lol she shoot as good as me... We go out brown bear hunting and she takes my 338 and backs me up or I back her up she only uses the 338 for browns tho she really like the 7mm but its to small of a cal.and the 300 mag i feel is to small too..She dont like the 338 but if she want to hunt with me for browns that the RULES....
ty all for the replies

Old 03-03-2003, 10:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

1. Never/Never/Never turn your guns in!!!!!

2. You will shoot frist!!!! to hell with talking....

3. Bush and Bin laden ARE partners in oil and in airports that is a fact...

4. Did you know there was count this (((12 video cameras))) on the Oklahoma City Alfred P. Murrah building... That had Timothy McVeigh and OTHERS befor and after the bombing!!!!!
ask yourself this will we ever see these films??? Why Not?????

5.Twin Towers who really did it Osama bin Laden was allegedly linked to the bombing of the Twin Towers in 1993, another situation the FBI knew of in advance and did nothing to avert....
Cover-up and conspiracy: The Bush administration and September 11 ....

6. In examining these talking points, we ask the reader for an open mind, patience, and healthy skepticism. We ask only that you embrace your responsibility to think for yourself, because no one else ought to be doing it for you. Some of what follows may be hard to accept or difficult to believe. We suggest that you revisit, check and double check difficult points via the web.....

7. :: Anthrax ::

Suspicions continue to swirl around an FBI investigation going nowhere after eight months of

investigation. Despite early attempts to blame Iraq, it is now an established fact that all the Anthrax came from a US Army facility at Ft. Detrick, Maryland. Furthermore, respected scientist Dr. Barbara Hatch Rosenberg, has suggested that the FBI is dragging its feet even though it has a clear prime suspect within the US defense establishment. Recently it has surfaced that the White House was put on Cipro on the very morning of September 11th, more than a month before the anthrax attacks. Are we being subjected to a campaign of fear (ie 'terrorism') by people within our own government ?????

Kill em all and let God sort em out!

Old 03-03-2003, 10:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

(((((info war.com)))))