Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

.45 or 9mm

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .45 or 9mm

Originally posted by: 2fun
Originally posted by: Catterman

One question for you gun people, my buddy says he can load .45 bullets hotter the the .44 mag. Is this true???

If he is talking about a .45 auto, he is full of BS.
If he is talking about a .45 Winchester Mag, THAT is very possible![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I think that with the strength of the Ruger super blackhawk revolvers that guys are now loading 45 long Colt up towards 44 mag velocities, with a much bigger bullet.

Old 12-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Range Rover
Default .45 or 9mm

This thread has been around a while. Here is my opinion based on my experiences.

First I wouldn't use a semi auto as protection against dangerous game. For reliability purposes I would use a revolver which will take more dirt and debris than a semi auto. My preference is also single action revolvers over double action but each person will have their own preference on that.

Next, I suspect the original question was on black bear so with that in mind a .45 Colt with the proper loads would be fine or a .44 Mag. Loads would be a 300 grain bullet at about 1250 fps in the .45 or about 1350 in the .44. This also depends on what size bear frequent the area.

Now if we are talking about grizzly or brown bear I would be uncomfortable with the .44 Mag. preferring to have 454 or 475 instead. I have taken one brown bear in Alaska with a handgun and I found out really quick how irritated they can get. Lets say we had a few seconds of intense negotiations about who would take whose hide home. Basically the first shot can kill them but it takes a while for them to realize they are dead.

Old 12-02-2004, 01:45 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Default .45 or 9mm

Originally posted by: Reb2
First I wouldn't use a semi auto as protection against dangerous game.
I am just the opposite. I would rather have a semi-auto when hunting dangerous game. For the simple fact that it eliminates opperator error. If a big brown bear is charging me I can get all 4 of my shots off faster then anyone who is using a bolt-action. In my 16 years of big game hunting I have never had a BAR jam up.

However, I am sure the key here is when you are out hunting something that can kill you, be sure you have with you a gun you can trust and are comfortable with.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-02-2004, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default .45 or 9mm

For an in the woods sidearm I prefer the revolvers. I own both a Glock 17 and a Sig 228. Both have stovepiped on me with good factory ammo and in both clean and dirty states. It is nice to have 13+ rounds at ones disposal. The stovepipes make me question the reliability that I would need in the woods or for protection at home.

The .44 mag is a great gun to carry in the woods. The Smith 629 cant be beat. For home protection I keep it loaded with .44 Specials in a Silvertip or HydraShok type bullet. In the woods Ive got some devastating hollowpoints in .44 mag.

Catterman, Im with you on the semi autos for rifle hunting dangerous game. As long as you know the gun and its proven to be reliable, the semi auto is awesome. Im thinking about the Benelli R1 in .300 Win Mag or possibly a Browning.

I pity the fool trying to break into my house.

Old 12-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default .45 or 9mm

i know several cops and the standard weapon is a 9MM but they all chose a 45 becuse it packs so much more of a punch. the 9mm will put a hole in a person just under 1/2 on a good day. the 45 would punch a hole in them over 1/2 inch on a bad day. i would definatly go with the 45. for accuracy i would go with a revolver for self defence i would go with the auto.(becuase you can fire more rounds from it faster) hope it helps

Old 12-05-2004, 03:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default .45 or 9mm

Originally posted by: polarisman3
Well i was just wonder what you guys think of the Ruger P-90 .45 ACP Auto and the Ruger 9mm. I just wanted it for when i am pheasant hunting and a coyote runs out and when we go up north to bear country for protection.......Does a 9mm provide enough protection againts bears. Or just the .45.....Well what do you guys think?
Here is the original question.

The 9mm would be fine for the coyotes.

But I would definately go with something bigger for the bears up North.
I would go with at least a .44 or .45 magnum. Even my .41 mag should be ok.
I wouldn't go with the semi-auto though I don't think.
Like mentioned earlier, if you go to small you will just pi$$ the bear off and then you are in trouble.
Learn to shoot quick and accurate, you want the first shot to count, but if not, the second one better.
With a pistol, they will die with a good accurate shot, but as stated earlier, it will take them a minute to figure out they are dead.

Good Luck

Old 12-24-2004, 12:37 AM
Trailblazer
Default .45 or 9mm

Save yourself the trouble and buy a Smith and Wesson .500 Magnum. Knock a moose off it's feet if you wanted to[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-24-2004, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default .45 or 9mm

Originally posted by: polarisman3
Well i was just wonder what you guys think of the Ruger P-90 .45 ACP Auto and the Ruger 9mm. I just wanted it for when i am pheasant hunting and a coyote runs out and when we go up north to bear country for protection.......Does a 9mm provide enough protection againts bears. Or just the .45.....Well what do you guys think?
i like the .45, but them .40s are nice also, check out the glock website, www.glock.com i have the glock 21

Old 12-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default .45 or 9mm

Originally posted by: redwingsrule05
Save yourself the trouble and buy a Smith and Wesson .500 Magnum. Knock a moose off it's feet if you wanted to[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
wings fan i see, niice.

I shot a desert eagle .50 about a month ago, id hate to be on the other side of that thing man.

Old 12-24-2004, 05:31 PM
Trailblazer
Default .45 or 9mm

Me too they really kick ****