Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

My new-found sport, coyote hunting!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 11:58 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new-found sport, coyote hunting!

Yeah, my wife is from Minnesota and up there timber wolves are protected more than human life. Ask the locals, though, and you'll find that the wolf population is anything BUT endangered, at least in the northeastern part of the state.
As for the caller, I've ordered a couple mouth callers because I don't think the electronic callers have as much volume. Besides, this one wasn't mine and I had to give it back to my friend. I've been hunting these things for about a week now and though I've only taken that one, I did call in another pair the previous day and I missed the shot probably because of a 15-20mph cross wind and also due to the fact that he was facing diretly towards me at about 150 yards. I should have waited for a better shot, but I panicked because it was my first one and I was scared that if I kept calling he's see me. You live and learn, I guess, but I do have to say I'm hooked! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-10-2003, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

jems, use those light bullets for blastin' i don't own a 7mag, but as a comparison, my varmit load for my /06 is a 110 grain hornady w/ a stiff charge of reloader 15 & a magnum primer. this gets around 3350-3400 fps. this load also shoots suprisingly accurate to 300+yds. (coyote, up to 500). the 7mm is a good cartrige & you should be able to find a good load easily.

Old 03-10-2003, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

Jerms, the Rem 700 and the Rug 77 both have the wrong twist to stabilize lighter slugs. I've had little luck with anything under 130gr. The longer bearing surface seems to be a necessity. I'd think about 760 or H380 if I was going to try this again, but don't get your hopes too high. Sierra 168gr. Matchking over a major amount of H4831 has always been my favorite for the two afore mentioned firearms I own.

Those mouth callers gonna wear you plumb out. You'll be too dizzy to shoot by the time they show up. Get an eloctronic caller to go with that new 22-250. Just remember though, they hear better than we do. Just because you don't think it's loud enough don't mean they can't hear it in the next county. Start out loud and ease off gradually. They'll still hear you.

Old 03-11-2003, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

Reminds me of something that happened to me a few years ago.

I was out at my dad's farm, sighting in the scope on a .300 Weatherby Mag that I had horse traded for at a gun show. For those of you who have never seen a cartridge for this rifle, it looks something like a howitzer shell. Got it sighted in, and decided to fire a couple more shots at 150 yards, when up over a hill pops a scroungy looking coyote, ambling towards me. Hit it dead center in the chest, a darn good shot at that range if I may say so myself.

What a mess!

Old 03-12-2003, 09:50 PM
Range Rover

hey say the thread and had to respond, im going on my first coyote hunt this weekend. looking pretty forward to it, never have done this before so im useing my sks for now because that should have no problem taking them down. any tips or suggestions to make the hunt go smoother let me know, thanks

Old 02-20-2004, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

being from Mn andhave hunted all my life and plan to continue they introduced coyote around my parents hobby farm and lake and in the last 10 years it went from rabbit hunting in winter to them being non existant really hard time finding local pheasants also . so talking to my sister .lives few miles from my parents , she had a new puppy out side one morning and in the 10 minutes it was out, she came back to se a coyote not 15 yards away trying to get the puppy .she ran and got her.357 and unloaded it , said that yote can really move when its got lead flying at it . needless to say when the coyote run out of wild animals they start attcking pets and farm animals . we have sections of the wild area along the minnesota river that you walk into and you won't find any kind of wild life . so i say lets help keep the population healthy , its our responsibilty as sportsmen ,yes it can seem like a shame to kill for sport but mankind upset that balence a long time ago , now it's our duty to help nature . i'm planning on getting a .223 or 22-250 when i get home from this stinking war . [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Range Rover

Hey Deanz, if you're in the military don't you already have a .223? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I guess Uncle Sam wouldn't like it too well if you kept it for a 'yote gun, eh? BTW, thanks for volunteering to do the job that most of the rest of us don't feel like doing. Kick their tails, man!

JC

Old 02-20-2004, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

Jerms,

Did you ever come up with a shootable 100gr. load for the 7 or better yet something in 22cal.? It's funny that I saw this thread being revived as I shot another coyote about 3:30 this morning that was trying to bother my dogs. Needless to say, he won't do it again. Springfield 45acp works well @ about 30 yds.

Old 02-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Jerms,
Glad to hear you are enjoying coyote hunting. I enjoy coyote hunting up here in Alaska, a buddy of mine and I go out to what is called the flats and tag team them. One of us will set back about 50 to 75 feet and call and the other will be the shooter. We try to set up in the direction that the yote will come from, they like to sneak up on you so being out further helps to get a shot before he see's the caller. It is exciting when one sneaks up on you unnoticed and yelps when he scents you, tricky buggers. I got 13 one year by myself 3 on the same day, I would take my snowmachine and snowshoes and head out till I found a high concentration of tracks and then set up. I have the best one hanging on my wall, it was the nicest one taken that year and I would not let my taxidermist have that one. It has seven differnt colors in his fur and is quite large, most people assume he is a wolf. One guy who used to be a biologist(retired) says it looks like a hy-brid, but he admits it is the pretiest one he has seen. Most are just grey or brown. I hunt with my .41 Magnum or a M-1 Carbine, works like a charm, in the .41 I use solid points to keep the expansion down but it still blows a big hole. The M-1 I use 110 FMJ and a 30 round clip, once in awhile when they run you need a few follow up rounds, no not all 30. I like to carry two clips like this to keep the rounds in one place and if the action gets hot I have lots of ammo.
My brother-n-law picked up a 22-250 for his buddy out in Dillingham to use on coyotes, wolves and caribou but he says that it is not enough stopping power on the wolves unless hit in the head, they can soak up some lead, the caribou are head shot and fold right up. I like the gun but I can not see me buying a varmit rifle when I have the Carbine and I could always use my .300 Win Mag. I shoot Ptarmagine and Grouse with it all the time, it keeps my shooting skills up for moose hunting, alittle overkill I know but it keeps me intune with the rifle, just have to hit them in the head and dinner is served.
I would not care about Shane's comment, you are doing the farmers a favor and there is always going to be that one whiner out there.AlaskaBoy.

Old 02-20-2004, 02:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jerms
When I was young, I put myself through a couple years of collage and feed my family by shooting yotes and bobcats. There not worth much anymore and I kind of have lost the urge to kill anythink that I can't eat nowdays. Having said that I will agree that it does get the heart going having one come in. Once I had 10 at once, only got three of them. Good payday them ($150.00 for the three hides and $50 from sheep owner) My advise for you if you have the money, buy yourself a good gun in 25-05, 22-250, or 220swift ( am sure there are newer ones that are just as good) Something with lower recoil, put a bipod on it and a good scope. I always used a mouth call, guess the new electronic are great. If you are going to keep the hides, learn to reload and keep the speed of the bullet at about 3200fps in the 22-250, saves the hide a lot. Good luck Grizz

Quick Reply: My new-found sport, coyote hunting!