Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Mowers

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 08:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mowers

BSA,
Swisher makes a rough cut mower called the Trail Cutter.....@ $1200 I think.

mark thomson

Old 05-14-2003, 02:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mowers

When you compare the Swisher side by side with the Kunz, the Kunz is obviously much more heavy duty. I think the determining factors are what type of brush you are going to be cutting down, how much of it, how often and how long you want to use the machine. I just bought the Kunz and have not used it yet. It is a monster that I plan on keeping for 30 years.

Old 05-25-2003, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mowers

I just got back from mowing my property. I have 12 acres ... 4 acres cleared. I've been mowing it a miminum of 4 times per year just to keep it in pasture form. The mower I have is no longer made but it's a nice machine. It's a Mott T38 Hammer knife mower. It's basically a 2 wheel pull-behind flail mower powered by a B&S engine. It's not big (38") but it works great and it's powerful. It was built in 69 ... it's farm machine quality. I've been told that it was produced for apple orchards since it's able to break up pruning debri (branches) without a problem. One of the things I like about it is that it can traverse hilly/bumpy terrain without clipping the earth (since the knifes are on a reel). I'm hoping it will last for a while ... but I'm starting to keep an eye out for other mowing ideas just in case [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-29-2003, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default Mowers

I have a 60" Polaris (swisher) finish mower with the Briggs 'tech engine, electric start and rack mounted control box. I have mowed my 5 acres with it a dozen times so far. It does a great job, but I do wish it had more blade speed so I could go faster, but its still faster than the riding mower (and a hell of a lot smoother). It can be pulled or front mounted, I’ve just been pulling it. I might try it on the front soon, but I think its going to be way to hard to steer, especially on my hills. The mower may be easier to maneuver around objects on the front, but it will be a lot more strenuous to the person riding the quad.

Old 06-20-2003, 09:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mowers

Looking for info on best option to cut 5 acres of pasture/field? Rough cut or finishing mower? Looking at a pull type for puling with ATV. Any suggestions???

Old 06-21-2003, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mowers

I went through this debate soon after I purchased my first ATV, a Polaris 700. The more I looked, the more I realized there are just a few options if you have several acres to deal with. Ultimately, I purchased a small farm tractor (35 HP) with a 5" bush hog for $2000 including a 16" trailer. The tractor won't run with my ATV but it does a heck of a job cutting, grading and pulling small trees. The ATV gets the sprayer, work in the woods where the tractor is not as limber (eg chainsaw work), and playtime!

Old 07-15-2003, 11:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mowers

skidlio,
Have you tried the kunz mower yet. If so how is it working for you.
Thanks.

Old 07-15-2003, 12:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mowers

I have used the Kunz 2 times now. The first time I mowed down @ 2 acres that had not been cut for over a year. The machine went right through the field at a 4 inch cut. It took down some small trees/weeds with 1 inch diameters with no problem. My Suziki Eiger (400) had no problem pulling the mower.

My neighbor who has a few tractors saw what it did and thought that his small 20hp tractor with a small brush hog would not have been able to do what the Kunz did. I was impressed by the manuverability; the 4 wheels lets it turn great.

Old 07-18-2003, 11:03 PM
Range Rover
Default Mowers

A friend at work has the swisher with the Honda engine. He said it works well on his 2 1/2 acre lot. It cost a little more but the Honda is rated around 800 hrs life vs the Briggs 350 hrs.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer
Default Mowers

I own a "cycle country finish mower", 10.5 hp, electric start, front mounted. The unit was purchased new by a friend of mine back in '98 or '99, and I purchased it from him this spring. He would mow 5 treeless acres on a weekly basis, with the unit mounted to the rear of the bike. He sold it to me after purchasing a 30 hp diesel tractor which was equipped with a snowblower, plow, mower, and various other attachments for an unbelievable price. He used to tow it behind the bike, but had also recieved the front mount kit during his initial purchase.

I cut approximately 2-1/2 to 3 acres of lawn/field every 7- 12 days depending weather, work, etc. My "Lawn" is littered with trees of various sizes and types, and is all hills, as can be seen in some of the pics (I own to @ 15' from the house in the view pic). I tried mowing with the unit behind the bike upon initial purchase, but found that I spent more time hitting the trees with the mower and even twice with the bike while watching not to hit them with the mower (Hahaha)...

I then put the mower on the front, unbelievable... the grass is not first compacted by the bike, the mower is right in your field of view at all times, it maneuvers just as fast as the bike, it goes under the tree branches to the trunk, (not me or the bike), I can push the mower up the steepest of banks.... lets just say I prefer it up front. So I would say it depends on your yard and what you have on it that decides where you want the mower. Anyway, I'll put a pic up of it in my photo page this weekend if any one wants to see it...

Honcho

Quick Reply: Mowers