Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

New with tire related question

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New with tire related question

Hi all,

I'm usually not a big atv forum guy, but am starting to have some questions and this looks like the place to find answers! I mostly just use my atv on my own property here in western NY for hunting and work around the farm. After a few walks out from deep in the back 40 to get tools and such I started researching tire Slime, Tire *****, etc. online. I ran across foam tire inserts called Flat Tire Defenders and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with them?

I just have an older Suzuki 250 4x4 and put some new Kenda's on but the occasional nail, fence line, etc. makes me want to run something to be able to ride the machine out and be able to repair it at the barn if I get a puncture. I guess I like the concept of these over Tire ***** because if I puncture a Tire Ball I need to break down the tire to repair it, where these foam inserts look like I could just plug the hole, add air and be done... I've stayed away from Slime because it's not cheap and I've heard it's messy, doesn't protect the sidewalls, etc. (Man I guess I've learned a lot being a lurker!)

Any thoughts or experience? I appreciate it! Next question will be cv replacement... I have one boot that just broke but it's too cold to work on it now! I'm saving that for spring...

Thanks!
Mike

Old 12-17-2010, 10:14 AM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Tire Plug Kit

Do you regularly carry a tire plug kit with you? You can buy the kits from most outdoor stores for next to nothing and they seem to work well. It just comes with the plugs, rubber cement, and tools to put the plugs in. I also carry a small 12 volt compressor to blow the tire back up when I am done. I think that I got both the tire kit (cabelas) and the compressor (walmart) for less than 25 bucks total. The tires that I just replaced (b/c of tread) had three plugs in one tire and still held air without an issue. May be a cheap solution rather than spend whatever amount on the other solutions. Good Luck.
Mudslinger2

Old 12-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks mudslinger2! I have a plug kit, compressor, etc. but not always with me. I guess the appeal to me was the convenience of not having to fix it right then and there on the spot. Cost is less of an issue than time. (I only mentioned the cost of the slime because it was more than I expected, and doesn't protect sidewall cuts).

Generally I have a big tool box on the rear rack with all sorts of stuff in there but it's usually that 1 in 100 times I either remove the box (generally during hunting season) or used the compressor for something else and forgot to put it back that I get a flat. Murphy's law it's never when I'm prepared or have time! Always late in the day or when I'm rushed!

The big appeal to me with the flat tire defenders was that it appears I could finish whatever I'm doing and come back to the repair when I have time. Between tractors, atvs, bikes, etc. something usually has a flat at any given time. This would just rule out the atv! I have used Michelin Mousse inserts for my motorcycle but only recently and I wish I would have tried them years ago (but never had money when I was young and racing!) So when I found these, they made perfect sense to me...

Again thanks for the reply! I guess I'm just looking for that extra insurance policy that I don't have to think about when I grab the wheeler to do something.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

P.S. Great picture in your signature!!!

Old 12-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Orginal Trespassers

Welcome to the form

I took some pvc tube and mounted it to my quad then put a bike co2 tire inflatter and plug kit in it. takes 5min. done works great under $20
I use a paint ball co2 now dose 5 tires the bike has a small co2 one tire each.

Have the same set up on my 4x4 as well

Old 12-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Orginal Trespassers

I have read this stuff works great

High Lifter Products - Tire Sealant

Old 12-17-2010, 05:23 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!

Originally Posted by wnyhuntermike
P.S. Great picture in your signature!!!
In that picture I had gotten stuck first...when my brother got done laughing, rather pull me out he decided that he would get in the mud too and roost me...he got stuck before he could get far enough to roost me! Made for a good picture at least. Thank goodness for winches!

Old 12-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Orginal Trespassers

sorry my pics where deleted they showed what it looked like.

i need to learn how to post pics better.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Orginal Trespassers

Originally Posted by mudslinger2
In that picture I had gotten stuck first...when my brother got done laughing, rather pull me out he decided that he would get in the mud too and roost me...he got stuck before he could get far enough to roost me! Made for a good picture at least. Thank goodness for winches!
great pic.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome

Quick Reply: New with tire related question