Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

New guy from Montana: trying to find the right ATV.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy from Montana: trying to find the right ATV.

Hey all! My name is James and I live in beautiful Northwest Montana. For the last few years, I have been going back and forth with myself about buying an ATV and am finally ready to do so. However, I am having a hard time choosing. I looked at the Kawasaki Brute Force 650I 4X4, the Honda Rancher 420 4X4 and the Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.

This machine will be used for plowing in the winter months and trail riding the rest of the year. The Kawasaki was the most expensive at just a tad over $9000 with the plow and winch installed and the Polaris was the least expensive at just a tad over $6700. The Honda was a really nice machine but the dealer confused me on the price, so I will be giving them a call on Monday to figure that out.

All the machines are automatics and 4X4, which is about the only requirements I had. So, being somebody that hasn't ever been around 4wheelers, what would you guys recommend out of the three? I am sorta leaning more towards the Polaris purely on cost, but willing to take some advice elsewhere as well. Can Am, Suzuki and Artic Cat were too rich for my blood, and I am not a fan of the Yamaha design.

Thanks much! I will continue to hang around once I make the purchase!

Old 11-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I take it these are all new model year quads. The Polaris will give you the nicest ride. If you have a bad back it's the way to go. The 500 is pretty bulletproof and they have good on board storage for all the gear you want to bring. Brute Force is decent. Been on their 750s and liked the 2012 I rode for a day. Don't like the little yellow lever that you have to hold onto for full locked front end. Hondas are very reliable but they lack a fully locking front end. Only an issue in deep mud, or snow, and on rocky hill climbs where the tire in the air might spin on the Honda with the front tire on the ground not getting traction. Been in a few spots where the full 4wd just barely got me through. That's the main reason I'd avoid a Honda, personally.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for that information! Yes, they are all new models. The Kawasaki is a 2011 that the dealer had, no hours/miles on it as of yet. Polaris is a 2012 with great rebates, and the Honda is a 2012 as well.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Range Rover

I have a 07 rancher and an '11 sportsman 500 got them both new and I really like them both but I have to admit I wish that rancher was a true all wheel drive like the Polaris is I have been able to make it thru some of the same mud holes & up some rutted up hills that I'd have to get pulled out of or have a real difficult time with on the rancher with little to no problem on the sportsman. I still really like the rancher but I think for what you want to do you'll be hard pressed to beat the sportsman.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:19 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome

Old 11-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default ATV Selection

OK I will tell you upfront what I can see about the ATV's your looking at.

My honest opinion is the Polaris 500 Sportsman or the 550 is the new size i the best bang for you buck. What every you do get an ATV with all independent suspension. Best ride and the polaris sportsman has 12" of ground clearance. Even the fancy Honda Rubicon has a rear straight axle they drag on some rutted trails.
CAN AM has a nice quad if you like to spend $$$$.

I have owned a 2005 400 Sportsman and had it serviced each year. This year is cost me about $900 in repairs. Thats after 7 years of abuse. I plow snow, move trees I cut down and it does a lot of yard work. Every year I spend about $40 to $80 on a service. They go through it and do a standard Oil , filter and lube, but check the belt system and the buttons. Sometimes I need suspension part or something I wore out from plowing snow. Its pretty reasonable. I would buy the same one but I would goto a 500 in the sportsman this time. There are a lot of nice front Rack storage build in, and some really cool lock and ride cargo boxes. My Honda buddies rag on me about my polaris but the extra money they paid out ,I don't have that in repairs and service yet. Plus honda parts $$$$.
As for the 4X4 the sportsman has the best in my opinion, it has not ever let me down. I will have my Polaris for many years.
I could share stories all day so I would never hesitate to buy a Polaris Sportsman (above 500cc), keep it serviced and take care of it and it will treat you right. If you have any other ATV questions about Polaris let me know. I have some videos from our trip, a good one to see Honda Rubicon's and My Polaris 400 Sportsman in WV at the Hatfield McCoy Trail. Some good up and down hill climbs. Also be sure you as about the ATV Safety course. Usually it is free with the purchase of a new ATV. I took it and it helped me understand how to ride safely.

- See a Polaris Sportsman in action.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default Btw

Welcome to the Forum.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I went ahead and told the Polaris dealership that I will be getting their ATV and to save me the red one they had in stock. I have to wait until Wednesday to go down and fill out the paperwork due to work. I will be sure to post up some pictures when I get it!

Old 11-20-2012, 04:38 AM
Trailblazer
Default Awesome

Awesome, I remember when I purchased mine, I was like a kid at XMAS for a few days. Welcome to the ATV owners club. LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New guy from Montana: trying to find the right ATV.