Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

New to forum...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum...

Said to come here first...
This fall picked up an older 1991 Ski-doo Formula MX XTC that had a motor swap and previous owner could not get it running, 2 wire 3 wire stator issue, bought new CDI, aligned engine to clutch, put carbs on correct sides, he had lean on PTO, freed up a stuck secondary clutch, she started first pull...
Plow driver thought fun to push snow up to her, spent an hour getting her out to discover I could never pick up rear end if stuck and thought, do I really wanted to break my back and die next to this thing...

So I sold used the monies and bought 2 well used 4x4s...
1 is a 1991 Honda 300 Fourtrax 4x4, the other a unknown, haven't crawled under her yet, Yamaha 350 Moto-4 4x2... All tires good shape, plastics decent, both started right up and did not smoke or make any strange noises...
Actually I made $50 on the deal, sold sled for 6 and bought these for 550 delivered.
Working on the Honda so far, rear brakes were seized, iced up, he had heater on the rear end, melted back of plastics and tail light, argh, when I arrived, when I saw plastics getting wrinkled up, turned off heater, took for ride, when he delivered seized up, knew water in there,,, went to tear down, discovered, after removing snow from rim, they welded the hub onto the live axle...
Bearings are good, so not too worried for now, pulled brakes apart, lining loose ice packed, a tad pitted, fun to clean up when can't remove, but can get decent enough for a 4x4...
Front needs bearings, have that pulled apart, rest is tight, seat cover wasted, ordered new one, carb they attempted a repair on choke, drilled into body of carb, so ordered new Caltec, thought adjust clutch, jam nut seized to adjuster, 2 man job to free or have to pull cover, looking for helper...
On Yamaha every cable broken, ordered new throttle so could see if worth time fixing rest of issues or just part out, has wrong exhaust on it without arrestor...
Will update later, and look forward to receiving and offering all I can, former mechanic for 30 years, know a few tricks...

Old 12-22-2013, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome!

Old 12-23-2013, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder