Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

Is a 700xx any good for beginner

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I stand corrected!

Old 08-05-2015, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And if memory serves me, it's actually 42RWHP, but I could be wrong on that.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
If you went with the original Outlaw IRS it was the Polaris 500. Decent power, but would be left behind by the 450's speed-wise. The KTM powered 525 is said to be a beast. I believe they offered them with either a solid axle or an IRS. Can't imagine how powerful the 525 was. The only hesitation I would have with the Polaris with the KTM engine is that they discontinued them after just a couple years. Not sure what that would mean for parts availability.

The KTM rfs motor was used in a few bikes over the years, and is highly regarded. I think parts will be around for the motor for a while. The chassis I am not as sure about. How long does Polaris keep stock on that stuff?

Old 08-07-2015, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the TRX700xx is most definitely NOT a beginner quad. But you did say you had experience on a 400 sport quad. If this is the case, then you should be okay. It is a different machine that requires some getting used to, but once you do, you will absolutely love it. It is a fantastic dune and trail quad. It is high geared, so it does not like to be lugged around and is easy to stall with stock gearing. A smaller CS sprocket can fix this. Because of the IRS, it does not turn near as well as a machine with a solid rear axle. This can also be remedied by adding an aftermarket sway bar. As NLWarrior said, "Set your own pace." It is strong.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer
Default Hers what I'd recommend

Personally, I started on a Suzuki 50, but this is when I was 2, and it threw my dad off and he took it apart, and it's still like that, and I'm now 17, but then when I was 9, I rode a Yamaha 400 semiautomatic until I was 10 and I got a 250 recon semiautomatic and I rode that and my dad's 300ex until he bought my uncles 350 rancher 4x4 semiautomatic and his 500 rubicon 4x4 automatic and I personally think that any automatic 2 wheel drive utility at would be the best for a beginner. They are very durable and made to work, so they should do all of what a sport bike would do, because I can ride a whellie on the 500 rubicon. So get a utility, less than 500, and have a blast on the trails

Old 09-27-2015, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer

Welcome to the forum. Its not the power of the machine you should be worried, but the throttle control and discipline of the rider.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:26 AM
Trailblazer
Default newby opinion

Originally Posted by atv-wheeler
Welcome to the forum. Its not the power of the machine you should be worried, but the throttle control and discipline of the rider.
I`ve been messing w/ 4 wheelers since 1985, have had some fast ones, (lt500r Suzuki) and now-not so fast.(kfx700) it`s a great , comfortable if you over 6 feet, easy to ride bike. but you aint gonna hang w/ the fast sport bikes unless modded quite a bit. carbs are very sensitive too. the 700xx Honda was a piece of krap to me, it might be faster than the kfx 700, but it`s certainly an oddball. they only made them 2 yrs.! I didn`t like mine at all, only had it for 3-4 months. the kfx is detuned from the factory like you wouldn`t believe! love it so far----------bob

Old 10-04-2015, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by wedgeracer
I`ve been messing w/ 4 wheelers since 1985, have had some fast ones, (lt500r Suzuki) and now-not so fast.(kfx700) it`s a great , comfortable if you over 6 feet, easy to ride bike. but you aint gonna hang w/ the fast sport bikes unless modded quite a bit. carbs are very sensitive too. the 700xx Honda was a piece of krap to me, it might be faster than the kfx 700, but it`s certainly an oddball. they only made them 2 yrs.! I didn`t like mine at all, only had it for 3-4 months. the kfx is detuned from the factory like you wouldn`t believe! love it so far----------bob
Is this the same bob who left the 700xx forum looking for a fight? Lol

I still say you had absolutely no idea how to properly set one up but oh well, welcome to the forum

Old 10-04-2015, 11:05 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

They are all beginner ATVs. I can make a 1000cc Renegade do 5 mph all day long if I wanted to.

I can make a Ferrari go slow but I can't make a Lada go fast.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TLC
They are all beginner ATVs. I can make a 1000cc Renegade do 5 mph all day long if I wanted to.

I can make a Ferrari go slow but I can't make a Lada go fast.
I have to disagree. You simply do not put a beginner on a full size, sport quad...regardless of throttle control. YOU may have control, but YOU are NOT inexperienced. An inexperienced rider can suffer drastic consequences on a machine beyond their capabilities. I can handle myself in the ring, but I guarantee you that I will not step in with a pro. I could be wrong, but I do not think you have seen the results of whiskey throttle, or a roll over due to a lack of experience. ALL of the performance ATVs, or any machine for that matter, can put you on your *** if you commit a minor mistake. Something that is quite common amongst new or inexperienced riders.

Quick Reply: Is a 700xx any good for beginner