Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

new guy here w/ a moto4 yfm80 build

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 11:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy here w/ a moto4 yfm80 build

Hello everyone!

Im new to the site but I have been researching a bunch and using this site for advice/ help. I actually have a little build going on thats just about done.

Its a 1988 Yamaha Moto4 80cc. My dad actually bought this little quad for me when I was about 9 or 10 years old. We kept it and rode the hell out of it for years. Even in high school my friends and I would mess with it and see what it can do. Surprisingly quick for what it is. There came a point where it ended up sitting for a while and I went to college and never rode it anymore. My dad gave it to his friend so his friends boys could ride it. Well a few years later I guess those kids quit riding it and it sat for about a year. He asked if I wanted it back and I was stoked! I have a 5 year old who I really brought it home for but shes not that interested right now. So it became a little project for me.

When I got it back it didnt run. It needed a battery and the carb was all gunked up. I seafoamed it and shot it with some carb cleaner just to see if it would even start or try and start. Which it did start so the break down began.

I started with a carb rebuild kit and got it running pretty well. The more I rode it, I noticed the clutch was slipping pretty bad. So I ordered new clutch discs and a few other parts from yamaha. Many hours spent online researching and trying to find parts. Turns out the raptor 80 and badger 80 have the exact motor so parts started getting easier to find.

Of course being the gear head I am, I researched what these little 80s can really do and started looking into performance. I made a custom intake, removed the baffle from the exhaust. I also just got done rejetting and finally found a good combo. Its a mikuni carb with 85 main jet and a 15 pilot jet. For what it is, this little thing can move.

I also did A LOT of cosmetic work. Repainted the plastics, wheels, engine covers, and the grab bars. My wife made some new "Moto 4" stickers for me as well.