Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

New guy with brand questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 12:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with brand questions

Cheers everyone. Just joined up, and i'm about to buy my first atv and have some questions about branding..

You know, Polaris 850 vs. Kawi Brute for 750, reliability? Long term durability? My initial research has basically drilled it down to these 2 machines currently. This kinda stuff... anyone that can point me in the right direction to start asking questions would be helpful. Thanks in advance, look forward to hanging around a bit. Cheers. hvychev77

Old 06-02-2017, 01:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kawi all day if it was for me.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

I like the Kawasaki a lot, even more if they made a 2 up ATV.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Both are twin cylinder machines. Polaris is a parallel twin and Kawasaki a V-twin. Polaris 850 is a good bit faster, with better towing and toting numbers. Also has better on-board storage options than the Kawi. I'd give the Brute a slight nod for reliability. Polaris has more ground clearance than the Kawi and a smoother ride. When Kawasaki updated the Brute in 2012 they improved the ride quite a bit but not as comfortable as the Sportsman. Both have power steering available. Nice to have. Didn't think I'd care for it when I bought my Can-Am but love it now. Both machines will put a grin on your face power-wise. I like both machines. My wife won't drive an ATV so I buy a two-up machine. Wish there were more makers that offer them. The only thing I don't like (and it's minor) is how the Brute's front end gets locked up for full lock. On the Polaris you hit the AWD (All wheel drive) button and forget about it. It seamlessly puts power to the front if it senses any difference in speed between the back and front wheels. Essentially instantaneous. On the Brute you push the button to put it in 4wd. To fully lock the front end you have to hold a yellow lever that is right there with the rear brake lever. Not horrible but I've been in some nasty mud and water holes, as well as in off camber situations on rocks where you have to put all your weight on one footwell. If you have to stand on the right footwell when the quad is tipping to the left side, it's a long reach to hold that lever. Enough that you could mess up the balance. Just a minor thing. I encounter this type of terrain about 2% of the time. With power steering you can steer with one hand if need be. I've climbed out of quite a few deep holes as described. Just food for thought. I was told there is an aftermarket kit to lock that lever in place so you don't have to hold on to it.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:06 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:05 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi hvychev77: You are where I was six months ago. I was new to ATVs and knew nothing. The folks here really helped me in my decision with all their experiences. I have no direct experience with either brand on your short list but others do have the experience. I thought I was going to get the Polaris, but ended up with a Can Am instead for rather silly reasons.

The guys here said it boils down to a gut decision and just run with it. They are all fun.

David

Old 06-02-2017, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Most all the brands are well built today so you need to find a machine to your personal liking. All machines have there little pro's and con's and special features that you might want or not want. I tell people to take a test ride on any machine you might be interested in as ergonomics can have a hugh effect on how comfortable your ride is!! Nothing worse than a long ride on an uncomfortable machine. Depending on your size different machines can feel different, if your dealer doesn't allow a good test ride then go find another dealer even if you have to drive a distance. I chose a Kymco machine and have no regrets and the dealer had an actual test track with mud, hills etc. Claims the test track sold more machines than any sales pitch ever could.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow! Man that's a lot of responses. Thanks for the warm welcome and feedback. I did go sit on some Brute Force's today and walk around kickin' a few tires and such so, still on the never ending search it would seem. I did see some really nice Can Am's as well, but they are probably out of my budget. I guess my main concern in the end is, if you're dropping 10 grand on a machine, you want the power, reliability there. I want something that's going to last. Buy once, cry once right? Anywho, thanks for all the responses and i look forward to future correspondence with all of ya. Take care, hvychev77