Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

small quad comfort/use with bad back

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 12:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small quad comfort/use with bad back

hey everyone, im considering getting an ATV(relatively cheap) and have been researching. I will mainly be using the quad for riding trails, some narrow in wooded areas, and some with moderatly rough terrain. And to haul some light camping gear now and then.

I have a bad back and have ridden my fathers 2015 AC 700 EPS, but the big bores i just cant manhandle around to truely enjoy, even the smaller quads i have to be careful with how much body english i apply. Needless to say it must be relatively light

Cost wise im looking under 4k, and it must fit in my 2005 tacoma bed because i dont want the added cost of a trailer.

So all i really see that is small with non full time 4x4 and IRS, is one quad. The polaris 2006-2010 hawkeye/sportsman 300/400ho. Have read some questions about reliability, both good and bad.

So looking elsewhere i find some smaller good quads. Honda recon/trx250ex, suzuki ozark, kawasaki bayou, Honda 2004-2006 rancher AT, or 2007+ regular rancher, ECT.

so i guess the real question is do i need 4x4 for semi rough terrain and or hills? and can a single swing axle rear provide sufficient comfort for an hour of riding with my health issue?

Any input or suggustions is appreciated.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you are definitely going to want irs, and that usually means 4x4. The american brands tend to be pretty heavy, I would look to some of the Japanese models. Yamaha mostly. They had been selling a Grizzly 550 up until a few years ago. They just recently introduced a kodiak 450 model with an msrp of 5999. Arctic Cat actually has the 400 alterra model and if you can find a 2016 they are on clearance and will be about as close to 4k for a new quad as you will find. Polaris and can Am have had smaller models available as well so it may be a matter of patience looking on the used market.

A few things, with your issues and non manhandling, I wouldn't rule out bigger machines with power steering. You don't have to ride fast after all, and the bigger machines tend to be more plush. Also I know budget and trailer constraints eliminate these things, but no quad will match even some of the more basic side by sides for all day comfort.
If you feel like going as light as possible, find a nice Honda Recon and give it a try. Used are available in decent condition way under your budget and if it doesn't work you shouldn't loose your shirt reselling it.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

I have an Arctic Cat 700 TRV with EPS, So, if you can't handle a quad with EPS, I'm not sure that any ATVis going to fit the bill. AC with EPS steers really easily! You may think I'm nuts, but I think you should try riding a 10 speed bike. I've read that bending over and riding that style bike builds up back muscles better than almost any other exercise. Trust me, while I didn't ride a bike, but I fell off a ladder a couple years ago. I was in agony, then the VA sent me to physical therapy. About a month of that, I was good as new, er for a 66 year old . Riding my non ESP Arctic Cat 700 Diesel keeps my back in shape. If I rode only the 700 ESP one, I'd get soft. OK, that just didn't sound right! Maybe, a 10 speed bike and a 22 year old girlfriend, then the running from a jealous wife...

Old 07-29-2017, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I'll pipe in on the power steering too. With it, you don't have to manhandle the quad like you do with a non-power steering model. Also, as others have said, IRS (Independent rear suspension) provides a more comfortable ride than solid axle machines. Polaris is probably the most comfortable ride out of all of them.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

to be more clear the AC 700 EPS was fine to ride, ride was bearable for me and was easy to manuever. I will not even attempt half the machine can do though, speed/terrain wise so seems like a waste to get a big bore. Plus it is expensive and that AC my pops has does not fit into my 5 foot truck bed.

However, i just looked at some of those 450 models, griz/kodiak and ECT. Those might fit the bill of in budget but also just comfortable enough for me to ride.
Getting an older recon or ozark and selling it if the ride is too harsh, that may also work.

Thanks for the input guys, gives me things to consider.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

Of all the ATV's that I've ridden, Polaris has the softest ride. You might take a look. It also depends what kind of trails you ride, my trails have big tree roots and rocks that will try to rip the bars out of your hands. So, when I got the 2014 TRV with EPS, it blew my mind! I don't know if any smaller models offer power steering, but that would be a great feature for you. I've heard that the "Steerlite" bushings make a heck of a difference on the manual steering Arctic Cats. I may try them on my Diesel, it's heavy and steers like a 1940 Mack truck.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd check out some of the smaller Arctic Cat models. The Alterra 450 4x4 is much smaller than the big bore models(about the same size as the Honda Rancher models you mentioned) and since Arctic Cat got bought by Textron, all the Arctic Cat models are discounted big time. You might be able to score a brand new 450 for around 4K. If you have a Kymco dealer nearby, the Kymco 450i atv is basically identical since Kymco makes both the 450cc and 700 singles used in the Arctic Cat atvs. The Kymco models were less expensive than the Arctic Cat twins, price is probably about the same now. Another small used atv that you might consider is the Polaris Hawkeye 300 4x4. Its basically the same size as the Honda Recon and Suzuki Ozark but you get cvt auto, irs and 4x4. Power is modest at best but if you can find one, they're in the $2000-$2500 range used. An older irs Yamaha Kodiak 450 4x4 is in the same price range and has more power. I had a Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 once and although it has a swingarm rear axle, I thought it rode just fine. Not much utility with the Wolverine but it is smaller in size than similar displacement utility quads. It fit in the bed of the S10 4x4 I had at the time.

Trending Topics

Old 07-30-2017, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

Interesting note: I hunt with a guy who was shot up in Vietnam. He has a bad back, today we went out to set up bear baits. I let him drive my TRV with EPS. Nearly had to wrestle him to get it back, haha. He'd never driven a bike with power steering before! To OP (Adam) if you ever need 4x4 and don't have it...

Old 07-30-2017, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

ya greg no kymco dealers near me, but an altera 450 for around 4k, had no idea a new 450 class could be in that price range. And thanks for the info hydrex, im going to ride the AC 700 EPS in two weeks again, to refresh myself the feeling of EPS.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The leftover Alterra 450's at my local dealer were about $4500 the last time I went in there. Haven't been in there for a couple months. No eps on the 450 model but on a smaller quad like that you probably don't need it. The 450 is physically smaller than the 500, which has the same 443cc engine. The 450 is a true mid-size, like the Honda Rancher used to be. That engine is pretty peppy, its the same engine that the Prowler 500/Kymco 450i utv has and is a decent performer in that much bigger and heavier machine.