Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

The new guy

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 06:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The new guy

Hey folks My name is Joe and had a question. My 8yr old son has been riding his Suzuki 50 circa 1984 on and off for about a year now. He is growing out of it and we are debating on what to move him into next. Since he doesn't ride everyday, he is still a bit timid. Saying this, do we move him to a 90 or bump him up to a 125? I am leaning towards the 125 for the fact that he can grow into it in the next couple of years and both the 90 and 125 are about the same price point. I have a couple different options for the 90, but I am looking at a 2002 Yamaha Breeze. Is the Yamaha a good bike? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Here is the 50 he's riding now before I started working on it:

Old 08-03-2017, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The Breeze is a very light duty bike so as he grows and gets more confidence he will quickly outgrow that machine. Is he big or small for his size? This could have a bearing on which machine he might need. Do keep in mind many if not most all public riding areas have restrictions on what size machine a young age rider can ride!! Cheap quads are hard to sell when that day comes so it may pay in the long run to buy a better quality machine when you upgrade.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:25 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Joe: I love your user name. My neighbor had kid sized ATVs for his son. They had a blast tearing up his lawn.

I recommend the 125cc size, and I strongly recommend a throttle stop on the machine limiting top speed to about 3 mph more than he has now on the 50cc. You train him, and you observe him. When he can handle that speed safely, then give him another 3 mph. He can grow into the 125 over the years.

My father taught me how to hunt pheasants. Unbeknownst to me, he loaded my 20ga shotgun with blanks. No shot in the shells. He trained, he observed, and when I shot and "missed". he would say nice try. But there was consequences if I got careless carrying the shotgun.

David

Old 08-04-2017, 07:40 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:28 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
The Breeze is a very light duty bike so as he grows and gets more confidence he will quickly outgrow that machine. Is he big or small for his size? This could have a bearing on which machine he might need. Do keep in mind many if not most all public riding areas have restrictions on what size machine a young age rider can ride!! Cheap quads are hard to sell when that day comes so it may pay in the long run to buy a better quality machine when you upgrade.
I'm not worried about the public land issue, because we will be primarily riding on private land. I would say he is average size. 4'6" and 67lbs. Growing up, I moved from 50 to 125 and thought it was a good fit. I just don't want to buy the 90 then in a year he need a bigger bike. That gets expensive and my storage is limited. I have two younger girls that will start on the 50 and move up, so selling them is not an option. The larger bike will be a surprise for his birthday, so I can't just take him and try out the 125. Our friends have a Honda 90 and he loves it. Decisions decisions. Thank you for your comments.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:28 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Below Average Joe
Hey folks My name is Joe and had a question. My 8yr old son has been riding his Suzuki 50 circa 1984 on and off for about a year now. He is growing out of it and we are debating on what to move him into next. Since he doesn't ride everyday, he is still a bit timid. Saying this, do we move him to a 90 or bump him up to a 125? I am leaning towards the 125 for the fact that he can grow into it in the next couple of years and both the 90 and 125 are about the same price point. I have a couple different options for the 90, but I am looking at a 2002 Yamaha Breeze. Is the Yamaha a good bike? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Here is the 50 he's riding now before I started working on it:

looks like PB finally shut me down.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:36 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by dbj216
Hello Joe: I love your user name. My neighbor had kid sized ATVs for his son. They had a blast tearing up his lawn.

I recommend the 125cc size, and I strongly recommend a throttle stop on the machine limiting top speed to about 3 mph more than he has now on the 50cc. You train him, and you observe him. When he can handle that speed safely, then give him another 3 mph. He can grow into the 125 over the years.

My father taught me how to hunt pheasants. Unbeknownst to me, he loaded my 20ga shotgun with blanks. No shot in the shells. He trained, he observed, and when I shot and "missed". he would say nice try. But there was consequences if I got careless carrying the shotgun.

David
Thanks, I had a buddy admin on another forum change it without my knowledge and it has stuck. I do like the idea of the 125 too. 90 would be a nice step, buy 125 seems more logical from a growth and budget stance. However, if the price is right on a 90, I will not hesitate to get it. It will serve its purpose especially when my girls get big enough. Our 4yr old is just about ready for the 50, so he needs another bike. Thank you for your comments.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:36 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by scootergptx
Welcome to the forums.
Thank you.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome.

I think the 125 would be a good step too.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

Ok. So I'm going to bump this thread. I have looked at and came to agreement on price for a 2003 Scrambler 90. It's a nice bike and the price is pretty good. Here is my concern. I have video of the bike running and being ridden, but they wanted to clean it up for me so it was clean when i got there. Now the bike will not start with the button. They have gotten something wet. The bike is not getting any power even if we jumped it. There is a place for a kick start, but there is no foot piece, so I can not hear it run. It's a simple machine, so there is not much to it. What could it be? I don't want to pay what we agreed upon if it needs hundreds of dollars in parts. What are your thoughts?