Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

Can you ride on a permanently closed road.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 02:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can you ride on a permanently closed road.

The road in question is surrounded by hundreds of acres of crop land and was closed. It has been closed for many years from what I can tell. But there is gravel parking right near it. I think the farmers and railroad open the gate to get to the areas when they need to. Is it ok to ride around the gate and ride the road? It goes for miles and I'm not looking to ride through the crop land. Just looks like a close place to ride that has a lot of woods that but right up to the river with a closed road running through it all. Just looking to see what people think.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Find out who owns the property and ask for permission along with what you mentioned about staying on the road only. If they say no,find another place. This is a lot better than being caught and thrown out.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree with OPT completely, gotta have permission! On some of the property I had permission to ride on, I had told the owner I would help him keep an eye on things and report to him if I saw people that did not have permission to ride on his property. He was having issues with people tearing up his trails so he couldn't use his snowmobiles in the winter time so I became his look out or security guy. Unfortunately a pipeline company leased the right away from him and now NO one can ride there, even the owner was surprised to find that once the lease was signed he had no say on who could use that stretch of land!!

Old 12-22-2017, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

It depends on whether it's private property, town property, county property, or state property. One way or another, if it does not state that it is an ATV trail it is probably off limits. Only way to find out is there are signs or to go up to your town hall and see who owns it. Then, you have to ask permission.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
I agree with OPT completely, gotta have permission! On some of the property I had permission to ride on, I had told the owner I would help him keep an eye on things and report to him if I saw people that did not have permission to ride on his property. He was having issues with people tearing up his trails so he couldn't use his snowmobiles in the winter time so I became his look out or security guy. Unfortunately a pipeline company leased the right away from him and now NO one can ride there, even the owner was surprised to find that once the lease was signed he had no say on who could use that stretch of land!!
Ironically, in a large section of trails we ride locally a local oil company owns the property. There are gravel roads all over the property and trails in the woods that have been there for years. The oil company doesn't care if people ride there. Just use common sense and stay to the trails and roads and don't ride late at night. Obviously leave any equipment alone. If anyone is working, I avoid that area and stay clear. There are a few individual people who own adjacent property and a couple of them are difficult to deal with. That's just how some people are.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:49 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi shoe and welcome to all things ATV. Yep, you gotta have permission to ride on any ground that isn't yours. There is a good chance you will be given permission to ride on that closed road. And there may be a good reason why you can't. ATV owners must be respectful of private property at all times.

What would be great is your local or state governments to provide street legal license plates for your ATV. Some states allow ATVs on secondary roads with posted speeds below 45 mph. If this were the case, you could ride your machine so many places are really enjoy it. You may need some street legal equipment on the machine. Street riding isn't challenging trail riding, but it is riding none the less and can be very enjoyable in its own right.
You can always take your machine trail riding on a designated ATV trail if you like.

David