Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

Intro/question

Old 12-20-2018, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro/question

Hey guys the name's Buzz, just introducing myself. And I have a question, one that I've seen posted here several times so far, and none of the suggestions from members are helping.

I have a 2001 ds650, one day my son was out riding and the engine shut off. When I pressed the start button it seems the fire intermittently but wont start. I held the start button a little bit longer, knowing that I was risking damage to the starter, but it doesn't seem to help.

I noticed that the coil trigger was lose and tightened it up and gaped it to about .015". (I'm actually not sure if that's the right measurement as I can't seem to find it in the shop manual). Per the shop manual, I performed a test on it with a multimeter and the readings were nominal. I pulled the spark plug out touched it to a head bolt, pushed the start button and it was sparking very well.

I'm extremely confident that it is not a fuel problem, I recently rebuilt the carburetor, which is a 48 mm Mikuni.

I attempted to troubleshoot the multifunction switch, and I get about 1 ohm of resistance between the black wire and black/white stripe wire regardless of where the switch is positioned. According to the shop manual this means I should replace the switch ( image attached), but I don't know how there's only an OHM of resistance between these two wires, I followed them all along the wiring harness and they don

't seem to be connected anywhere, in fact the only time the resistance goes to Infinity is when I unplug both coils. Can anybody comment on that?

additional symptoms: during the one or two seconds of cranking with the start button pressed, smoke arises from the front part of the Quad near the coil area. Definitely making me think something's up with the coils, but again the plugs spark very well when I pull them out, but they're always fouled after a few failed attempts at starting engine. If anybody has any ideas please share.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:29 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Hello, and welcome. You want to try the Can-Am section of the forums for a better answer.