Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Question about semi - automatic atv and popping wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 12:13 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about semi - automatic atv and popping wheelies

I have a 97 Bayou 220. I have a winch on the front but couldn't ride wheelies before (or now) without running over a bump to help me up. However, with a little bump I can get it up and taking it from 1st to 2nd and som of 3rd gear. My quad has the semi - auto transmission setup - meaning no clutch lever to pull when shiftin gears. But I notice that if you give it gas while you still have your toe under the shift lever and then let the lever drop, it will jerk you forward kind of fast. A friend of mine has a 01 Bayou 220 and he can get his front end up by intentionally dropping the shift lever as I described previously. My question is - is can I do this to pop wheelies without it tearing up my Bayou. I guess I don't know the anwer to this because I don't fully understand the mechanism of a semi - automatic. Is the movement of the shift lever into its engaged position simultaneously engaging the automatic clutch. If so, would this be the same as letting out on a clutch lever as you would do to pop the traditional wheelie?? Any advice is appreciated. . .

Old 05-20-2003, 04:37 AM
Pro Rider

Actually it is about like neutral droping a car, (reving up an automatic in neutral and dropping it into drive) not a good idea. A clutch is made for engagment through a variety of RPM ranges,( it will just slip until it catches) An auto transmission is set up a little different. It will take it for a while, but it wont last long something will break. One thing to remember is, all materials have a breaking point, they can take alot of stress but the more sudden the stress is applied the more likely it is to break. So if it jerks you or you here a clunk the stress is probably to abrupt unless it is made to perform this way with high tensil stength materials. I own a vette that chirps the tires anytime it shifts even at normal rpms, but it took about $5000 to stregnthen the driveline enough to handle it. Bottom line===Use it for what its made for and you can ride it more and repair it less.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-20-2003, 06:25 AM
Range Rover

BTW, clutch wheelies are also hard on the hardware. Power wheelie or don't wheelie at all unless you look forward to tranny problems.