Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

ATV under water!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 04:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV under water!

I was out riding today and tried to make it through a hole that I shouldn't have. The water came up over the seat and got into the air box and it sucked in a bunch of water and died. When we got it pulled out, I hit the starter and it just stopped. I could tell it had water in the motor so I didn't even try to start it. When I got it home I drained the oil - which came out looking like weak gravy. Took both the spark plugs out. Has anyone else screwed up like this before? I was just wandering what else I might haft to do. How many times will I haft to change the oil? Should I replace the filter at each oil change? Common sense says to keep changing it until it comes out clean, but I was hoping someone else had the same experience so I would know what to pick up at the dealership. Thanks DennisC

Old 05-28-2003, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV under water!

dang that sucks, i have never been that bad

Old 05-28-2003, 05:27 PM
Range Rover
Default ATV under water!

It seems worse than it is. My friends and I swamp ours out like this all the time. When you get enough water in the engine it won't want to turn over. When we are out on the river we just pull the plugs out and let the engine crank over for a bit to blast that extra water out of the plug holes. Don't keep the starter running more than say 10 seconds. Give it a chance to stop, wait a few seconds, and hit it again. Once you have most of the water out, you may have to tip the bike up to get excess out of the exhaust pipe. Then blow the plugs off to dry them out, put them back in, give it full choke and she will eventually try to fire. You might even want to drain out the carb bowl to get any water of of it too. It won't want to run well until it gets to sit and idle for a bit to get all of the water worked out. I think that about covers it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Oh, it normally takes a couple of flushes to get the milky/watery oil out. I wouldn't replace the filter everytime. I would only change it with the final flush. Welcome to the deep water!!!