Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 650 Stalls at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 09:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prairie 650 Stalls at Idle

I'm a newbe so be gentle. Elev 400 ft, 02 model, 40 hrs, always took some time to warm up in winter before running right. When warmed up it ran great. Sometimes had to adjust Idle **** to keep it running at idle in cold weather.
Problem now is it won't idle without throtle assist. The idle **** seems adjustment now has no affect. Thought I might have pickeded up bad tank of gas but car and lawn mower get same gas. It runs but just won't idle.
Looking for suggestions ?

Old 05-25-2003, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer

tom, many of the 02's have had to replace their choke springs, it appears the original springs are too soft and lose their ability to pull the choke plungers back which will cause your carb to load up and even stall. My 02' did just that and even got so bad it kept fouling out the rear plug, for some reason the rear choke spring seems to fail on most machines first. So if you check your plugs and the rear one is blackened this may be your problem. Its a fairly easy fix, your dealer should have heard about it by now with as many of us as have had to fix it, make sure the replace the old springs with heavier ones, not just stretch the spring back out like mine wanted too, duh it will just wear again and fail. Hope this helps.

Old 05-25-2003, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Buddy,
Can you direct me as to how to access this spring ? Do I have to take some plastic off, if yes how. I can do the work but need some guidence on how to remove if necessary some of the plastic (like pictures from a web site or mannual) and how to access the spring.
I have been reading the threads and it apperars to me that maybe the pilot/air screws may need adjustment ? Could this be the case also ? just guessing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-25-2003, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

you will find all you need to know about the choke springs ( I just changed mine this weekend )
at NYROCs web site

NYROC

You can try the idle adjustments also. If you have a choke spring problem ,,, the bike will act
like the choke is partly on with it is warm .... for me about 5 miles into the trail .... won't idle any
more without bliping the throtle ... etc.

Also had to keep cleaning the rear plug ... and often would flood the cylinder with gas ... which ends
up in the crank case .... bad news.

Old 05-27-2003, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

AS far as your idle screw having no affect look up under the plastic and your idle screw should be on its holder if its not you can turn that thing all day with no affect....Rob

Old 05-27-2003, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

Mine adjusts the idle just fine in and out of the holder, actually it's easier when it's popped out of the holder. Either way it turns the screw, dunno whats up with yours Rob.

Good possibliity your choke is bad, or your air mixture screws simply aren't rich enough. Screw them all the way in and then back out 2.5-3 turns. A lot of us found this really helped starting and cured a lot of the sputter/cough when cold and first taking off. Good luck!

Old 05-28-2003, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Question: Are the Pilot screws and Air screws and mixture screws all the same 2 screws ?
And how do you get the plactic off the see the carbs ?