Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

A possibly stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A possibly stupid question

I am getting ready to do the NYROC muffler mod, but have no welder (or experience should I get one) nor do I know any welders (obviously, I need more redneck friends...I am working on that one though). Would JB weld hold the endcap of the muffler on sufficiently?

Old 06-08-2003, 09:26 PM
Trailblazer

JB would hold but don't count on it lasting. Seeing how you don't have a welder you're next best bet would be to get a scrap of band iron and rivet it tightly to the end cap leaving half of it sticking past your cut. Then insert it into the canaster and rivet it in place. Your could also use a combo of JB and rivets......

Old 06-08-2003, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Perhaps consider taking it to a car muffler shop and have it welded on there. I admit, that is iffy as far as quality of work goes, but it is just an option that I thought you might not have looked at.

Old 06-08-2003, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

Hey alaskayfm,

See that you have a jeep (even though real jeeps have square headlights LOL) are you a member of the www.jeepsunlimited.com forum?

Old 06-08-2003, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

ConMan,

When did YJ's become the "real" jeeps?!? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Yeah, I venture over to jeepsunlimited every now and then... post under my old username from here -- AlaskaTRX (still would except I got banned for no good reason).

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2003, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

ConMan,

I'd take it somewhere and pay the $10 to have it welded properly. #1 the job would look much neater and you already saved $ doing the mod instead of buying a new pipe. #2 it would suck to lose the endcap in a mudhole and then realize it's too late to do it right. Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-09-2003, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

I have to agree with Scotia650 on that one. Look in the phone book for a welder, it dont have to be a big job for most of them to do it. For a good welder its a two minute job and it will last as long as your pipe does. Its alot cheaper than buy all new exhaust because your endcap fell off.

Old 06-09-2003, 08:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey Scotia650 , i see you are one of the few that installed a lift kit , the correct tires and a few other mods . I just bought a 650 (camo) and 27" 589 , two inch lift , allum skid plates , EPI clutch kit . but i'm looking for some engine performance parts . I see you have a modual - did it realy help in performance? any other mods you think i should get ?i'm only doing work on this thing new . i'm not driving it till its all done the way i want it .how is the power with the big tires ? I've been tying to get a hold of mickey dunlap to see if he has a big bore kit .

Old 06-09-2003, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

ConMan-- SURELY there is some sort of welding shop near you. See the yellow pages. The muffler shop suggestion was a GOOD IDEA!

Old 06-09-2003, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

johnnypower,

Mickey has several big bore kits availiable. The module makes a noticeable difference on the bottom end. I've had the large tires installed for about a year but I started with 26's when it was new so I didn't notice a big power loss. Nyroc's pipe mod is a nice touch and not too expensive, nice deep tone without the harshness of my T4. I quess the only limit to the power is the depth of your wallet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Talk with Alltoys if you really want to get serious.

Steve

Quick Reply: A possibly stupid question