Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New 2003 Prairie 650 owner - a few concerns??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 06:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2003 Prairie 650 owner - a few concerns??

Hi everyone , I'm new to these forums. I just picked up my brand new prairie 650 and was wondering about a few things. First of all , I want to say that my decision to buy was largely based on other member's positive feedback of the prairie. I really had a tough choice between the prairie and the vforce. I like to go fast but I ride in rugged terrain and like the idea of 4 wheel dive and the engine braking , plus I plan on getting a plow for it. Anyway , I have about 10 miles on the machine and noticed while the seat was off , that the back cylinder's exhaust pipe from where it bolts up to about 3 inches back , the paint is pealing and flaking right off to bare metal. Is this common or could this rear cylinder be running lean (hot condition). Does anyone else have this happening on their prairies? The front exhaust pipe is fine. My dealer says that is normal since the back cylinder does not get much air flow. Just seems kind of crappy that you pay 6K+ and already the paint is flaking off the exhaust. Kawasaki should of used stainless in their exhaust systems.

Another thing I noticed while going down steep hills in low range , the belt sounds like it squaks like a car skidding on pavement. This only happens for an instant and does it about a half dozen times down a 2000' hill. I just ordered the black secondary spring (thanks to recommendations in these forums). Will this take care of the belt noise? Will putting on this spring void my 6 month warranty?

One last item - when starting the machine up cold , it always needs a little throttle and then pops and sputters a little till it warms up. Is this normal or does the carbs need adjustment? I also noticed someone running a forum regarding gas smell in the engine oil. I checked mine and I smell No gas.

Thanks for everyone's time to read this. Please let me know your thoughts.

Old 06-12-2003, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

The exaust is not a big problem... Mine never rusted too bad etc. The squack should be fixed before and after the black spring and to me it doesn't void warrenties although dealers are different so ask your dealer they should say it's ok... even if it does void I would still recommend it because the black spring is a long term warrenty is short term. as for starting well lets just say that's the fun of the twin.

Old 06-12-2003, 11:15 PM
Trailblazer

My 03 650 never squaks. But I have adjusted the belt and put in a Dalton clutch kit.
As for the pipe I never noticed it. The poping is there tho, and when its warm it runs fine. Great machine. I can live with a few quirks than have to ride anything else.
Did you get different tires on it yet or are you riding with the stock junk? I had Bearclaws put on before I picked it up and traded in the stockers. I paid 150 bucks extra for the upgrade. Well worth it.
Enjoy the sweeet ride.

Old 06-13-2003, 08:30 PM
Trailblazer

moto, as far as the hard starts it seems to be very common on prairies coming from the dealer, the factory setting for the airmixture screw is 2 and 1/4 turns out from all the way in or "seated" this is too lean, and most have gone to a full 2 and 1/2 turns. when i reset mine on both machines my machine was at 2 turns and the wifes was at almost 1 and 3/4 before i reset them, both have alway required choke or a little throttle when starting, even after they have already been ridden. Now no problem, I dont even use the choke unless its cold out. I was also told by my dealer that each prairie was individually jetted and tuned to make sure it passed the emission requirements for atv's which resulted in different prairies coming off the assembly lines with different size jets.
the moral of this story is to get your machine jetted by somebody who knows what they are doing, if you dont. if you are daring go to nyrocs webpage for instructions on jetting.

Old 06-13-2003, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Moto, the black spring reduces belt wear, but pretty much wont stop it from squeaking. A squawking belt means it is loose. Make sure it gets tightened soon. Loose belts wear out fast, sometimes as fast as 350 miles.

Mine starts easy. All 650's need throttle to start, it is a characteristic of the compression release. BUT, mine starts and runs solid in real cold weather. You may find a quad that runs as good, but none better. The 650 doesn't have to run like crap. It just comes tuned that way for emissions reasons. Yours is probably tuned too lean. Some people get the dynojet kit and just use the needles, and others adjust the stock needles with small spacers (washers). Get those air screws set to 2-3/4 in the front and 3 in the rear.

Um, yeah, you are nit picking about the paint on the exhaust. Stop that.

Keep the fuel switch off, you won't get any gas in the oil. Actually, if the tank is never left low, it won't do that either.

Old 06-14-2003, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

If you are going to do any Mods I.E. air box or exhaust do them before you waist any time jetting or tuning for that matter. Mine was way rich stock at 5000 feet after air box and exhaust it was somewhat lean.
Just so you know you bought the right quad the 650s tock first second and third at the local ATV mudbog at the fair grounds two weeks ago ( I got third ) this event was put on by the local Yamaha shop . That was in the open modifed class we also swept the stock class. The smaller quad classes were a different story. Our club GREAT NORTHERN ATV won all the events every one. We now have 5 650s in the club .

Old 06-14-2003, 11:49 PM
Trailblazer

I'm still riding with the stock junk tires. I will probably change them out before winter. I must say that I love this machine. Has awesome power and the engine brake is cool , and rides like a cadillac - oh yeah - let the good times roll!!

Old 06-14-2003, 11:56 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: nyroc
Moto, the black spring reduces belt wear, but pretty much wont stop it from squeaking. A squawking belt means it is loose. Make sure it gets tightened soon. Loose belts wear out fast, sometimes as fast as 350 miles.

Mine starts easy. All 650's need throttle to start, it is a characteristic of the compression release. BUT, mine starts and runs solid in real cold weather. You may find a quad that runs as good, but none better. The 650 doesn't have to run like crap. It just comes tuned that way for emissions reasons. Yours is probably tuned too lean. Some people get the dynojet kit and just use the needles, and others adjust the stock needles with small spacers (washers). Get those air screws set to 2-3/4 in the front and 3 in the rear.

Um, yeah, you are nit picking about the paint on the exhaust. Stop that.

Keep the fuel switch off, you won't get any gas in the oil. Actually, if the tank is never left low, it won't do that either.

Nyroc , I will adjust the air screws to your recommendations and will let you know how it runs then. As for the paint on the exhaust - didn't intend to sound like whining - just more concerned with a possible lean cylinder condition - I'll still touch it up with some stove paint - LOL!!! Keep up the excellent work with the tips!! Thanks again for the advice!

Old 06-15-2003, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Megadav
moto, as far as the hard starts it seems to be very common on prairies coming from the dealer, the factory setting for the airmixture screw is 2 and 1/4 turns out from all the way in or "seated" this is too lean, and most have gone to a full 2 and 1/2 turns. when i reset mine on both machines my machine was at 2 turns and the wifes was at almost 1 and 3/4 before i reset them, both have alway required choke or a little throttle when starting, even after they have already been ridden. Now no problem, I dont even use the choke unless its cold out. I was also told by my dealer that each prairie was individually jetted and tuned to make sure it passed the emission requirements for atv's which resulted in different prairies coming off the assembly lines with different size jets.
the moral of this story is to get your machine jetted by somebody who knows what they are doing, if you dont. if you are daring go to nyrocs webpage for instructions on jetting.
Megadav,

Thanks for the tuning advice. Nyroc even recommends 2 3/4 turns for front cylinder and 3 turns out for the rear. I guess it's always a little better to be on the slightly richer side than lean - cooler running motor and less chance of valve - piston burning.
I'm definitely not a jetting expert, but I have had my share of machines and messed with a little with jetting changes. Thanks again for the advice!

Old 06-15-2003, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

It all depends on your location as to the proper screw settings. The temperature, humidity, and altitude are all factors in determining the proper air-fuel mixture. Here in Florida, it's very hot and humid right now, causing a more rich running condition than in some areas. My p650 came from the factory at 1 3/4 turns out. I had the same sputter problem, and turned the screws out/richer to compensate. I had them at 2 3/4 and the quad was too rich. It would start great when cold, but once it got hot, and especially when in deep water/mud, it would want to stall out. I'd have the idle turned up as far as it would go, and it still wouldn't be enough, it would want to stall. Anyway, I turned my screws back a bit leaner, they are both around 2 1/2 turns now, and it seems to be perfect. I did notice a TAD bit more sputter when I started off for the day, but I should have let it warm up a little longer is all. Good luck!

Quick Reply: New 2003 Prairie 650 owner - a few concerns??