Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Will be buying new V-Force. Owners PLEASE help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 02:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will be buying new V-Force. Owners PLEASE help!

Hello to you all from Azores, Portugal!

This is my first post, and I'm portuguese, so my apologies in advance for any grammar mistakes.

I own a Z-400, and I will probably buy the new and awesome V-Force next month.

However, I have a HUGE dilema.
I have noticed some owners have complained about poor mileage.
Well, for me, 35 to 40 miles with one gas tank is no mileage at all !
When I ride my Z, I always ride longer than that, so this could be a very big problem, and if the V-Force really uses that much gas, than I will probably not be getting one.

So please, PLEASE help me and tell me how many miles you guys get out of a tank.
If you don't know how many, at least how long, in hours, can you ride it and at what pace/speed.

I don't want to ride with a back pack with bottles filled with gas !!!

Old 06-13-2003, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

I just picked up mine yesterday, so I cannot tell you about the gas mileage yet. I can tell you that the V Force is the most impressive machine that I have ever ridden and I do not regret buying it one bit..

If I were in your shoes, I would buy one and if the gas mileage becomes a problem, upgrade to a larger aftermarket gas tank when they become available. I would NOT let the gas mileage stop you from getting the most awesome and unique bike ever built.

Good luck....

Old 06-13-2003, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

During the break-in period, when I rode half throttle or less, I was getting 19 mpg. The low fuel light came on around 42 mi. which meant I had about 1 gal. of gas left in the 3.2 gal. tank. I rode around 6000 ft. above sea level and was jetted leaner for this altitude. I've heard others say that when racing, they get anywhere from 12-15 mpg.

I've read that IMS makes a larger 4.0 gallon tank for the V-Force.

Hope this helps.
Mark

Old 06-13-2003, 03:19 PM
Trailblazer

Beluga,

If you ride aggressively the VForce does get lousy mileage. However, I purchased the IMS aftermarket tank (which is 4.6 gallons, not 4.0 gallons), which helps. I can race a full GNCC (4 10 mile laps) at race sppeds with a single tank of gas with the new tank. If you go at a more sedate pace you should do a bit better than that.

-JJDog

Old 06-13-2003, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

I get 12--16 MPG on my P-650, depending on the terrain. I operate in the Appalachian Mtns. of S.E. Ohio and S.W. W.Va.(USA). I operate in lots of mud/water.

Old 06-13-2003, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

beluga. Im portuges and my sister is going to azores on the 16 . i never new that there was atv trails in Azores portugal. Whats your full name.And where do you live on Azores. maybe my sister is headed your way.

I got to ride the V at my local dealer. And its awsome im sur you could get about 50-60 miles on a tank it all depends on how you drive. Ive been able to get 127 miles on one tank of gas on my prairie .

Old 06-13-2003, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

o yeh have you ever been in the bull fights im talking about the ones on the street that seems like alought of fun. but dangerous

Old 06-14-2003, 08:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

First of all, let me thank all of you for your help and for answering in such a short notice.
If there are more V-Force owners out there that haven't read this message before, please post your opinions here when you do.

I was aware of the fact that some companies make aftermarket fuel tanks for the V, but they are rather expensive (and keep in mind that the wages in Portugal are WAY smaller than in America!), and they don't add all that much.
I also thought the IMS tank was 4.0 gallons, 4.6 is a little better. Their website doens't help much...
If you guys get around 38 miles out of the stock tank, 4.6 should get you around 54 miles, which isn't great also, but still an improvment. I get at least 65 from my Z (60 if riding really hard).
Anyone knows of a company that makes a larger one?

This a real dilema for me, because we don't get paid much here in Portugal, and atv's are a lot more expensive here (taxes), so I want to make the right decision, don't want to buy a brand new atv and then not beeing fully satisfied with it.
For example, the V costs around 9700 dollars here, and my wage is 800 dollars a month (which is considered here a very good wage!)
Understand my concerns now?

Again, thanks fo all the help, and pease post any more info you get.

P.S. Prairievenom, it's good to here from a fellow countryman !
Were you actually born in Portugal or are you a descendent from portuguese imigrants?

My full name is Luis Filipe Gaspar de Fraga, and I live in Ponta Delgada city, São Miguel Island.
The bull fighting is in Terceira Island, so no, I haven't been to any of them.

And yes, we do have lot's of trails!!! That's what we have more!
And the sight seing is unbelievable. I have some pictures, I will post them once I find out how to...
I live one mile from Ponta Delgada downtown, which is the biggest city of all the 9 islands of Azores, and there is a great trail also one mile from my house... so you can imagine how many trail rides we get here! Of course, you also have to take in consideration it's a small island.
And here we can ride atv's on the road! I think it's one of the only countries in the world that allow atv's on public roads.

If your sister comes to São Miguel Island, I will be more than pleased to help her out in any way I can (will have to consult my wife on this one... he he...).
Is she coming to visit family?

Sorry for the long post!

Old 06-14-2003, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

When I was getting in shape for a GNCC race, I was able to get about 40 miles and still had some gas left. I put in 2.9 gal, so I still had .3 left. So I would of got around 43 to the tank. At the GNCC race, I did 3-9 mile laps, and my fuel light still did not come on. When the light come on, you still have .8 gal, or a 1/4 of a tank left. But I would say at most, you would get between 40-45 miles to a tank, or around 13mpg. Puttint the IMS 4.6 gal tank, you should get close to 60 miles on a tank. But to be cheaper, you can get a six pack rack for it, and bring a gas can.

Old 06-14-2003, 12:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Ge4x4, great info !

How do you like your V-Force?
I am a bit disapointed in the fact that it loses to a raptor in a drag race.
When it was launched, the kawasaki engeniers stated that it was designed to beat the raptor. In fact, they admited developing and testing it against it's main competitors (raptor/DS), to make sure it would beat them.

Has anyone bought an aftermarkert gas tank for their V? If yes, is it detrimental to the handling? (higher center of gravity).
And how about the six pack rack? I have seen one in DG web page.

Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply: Will be buying new V-Force. Owners PLEASE help!