Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

bogging on landings??? help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 12:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bogging on landings??? help

03 p650 have mike penlans big gun,142f/145r,twin air,dg snorkle/low end mod,progressive springs, air screws roughly 2 1/4 / 2 1/2. quad runs excellent, but sometimes on some small doubles 15/25 foot it boggs and stumbles like the floats are opening to let to much gas in. it clears out in about ten feet or so. but was hoping someone has some insight on this as i wouldn't want to flipover forward, came to close a few times. i know this is a utility quad but it rips so good i couldn't resist at a local motorcross track. on some of my dirtbikes they make a tee to vent off the carb. anything for the 650 thanks steve

Old 06-17-2003, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

Mine will do that the odd time over a very abrupt jump. If it's stumbling, that probably indicates flooding and maybe the float levels are too high. If you're going into the carbs again set the float levels to the factory minimum and see if that helps. If it does help I'll do the same, lol. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2003, 11:30 AM
Range Rover

Just curious but how did the 650 handle the track and the jumps? I am anxious to try but I'd imagine the large jumps would be a bit rough on that big of a machine.

Old 06-17-2003, 07:54 PM
Range Rover

The 650P jumps better that my 400 Scrambler or neighbors Raptor. Just ask him!

Old 06-18-2003, 02:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

the prairie jumps extremely good and with the front suspension turns great. was only doing a 40 foot table top which i could go about 30 feet. it had more but i didn't. the doubles i did 3 of them has a nice soft landing and there was a whoop section that i couldn't get down and would case the second to last one most of the time. would kick up the rear about foot off ground. nobody could belief how well the p650 could do.

Old 06-18-2003, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

Talking about jumping, I like jumping mine, But was warned & took the advice of PRAIRIEWRENCH, & went into the dealer & purchased the rear axel reinforcing ring off the KFX 700...then a trip to the hardware store for some longer bolts, & some extra washers, now mine wears the '700 reinforcing ring, & the 650 hitch... some 650 Prairies have been known to crack the aluminum rear axel housing, accross the top of the axel, during extreme jumping... the hitch connects several, but not all of the bolts around the casting on the right side, & connects the 4 bolts on the left side...the reinforcing ring connects all the bolts on the right side, but doesn't do anything for the left side... by combining both of them together with longer bolts & some washers for spacers where needed, I feel that my rear axel is bullet proof, at least untill I need to replace the axel shaft anyway... the 700 reinforcing ring was less than $10.00 & directly bolts onto the 650 rear axel ( it fits over the hub, so removing the right side tire is all thats required to remove )... very little bending was required to fit both the reinforcing ring, & the hitch together... the low cost, the 1-2 month down time ( waiting for Kawasaki to replace the rear axel ), & the ease if installation make this $20.00 modification pretty cheap insurance to keep riding hard...also, don't remove the front rack without adding a support rod across the rear 2 bolts on the front rack, as the front rack supports the front shock towers, & some 650 Prairies have been known to crack the shock towers without the front racks on them to support the shock towers, during extreme air situations ... I hope this information helps some one out... Have A Good One ... WAM

Old 06-18-2003, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

check your needle clip setting if it boggs where it is now move it up on click try it if no improvement then move down 2 clicks:also have you jetted the carb? on some models you dont even need to much more jet than stock maybe 1 size or 2 sizes bigger. see if that helps take care of the bogg. you'll be suprised with the results.

Old 06-18-2003, 11:49 AM
Range Rover

I say a 650 at the dealer last year that had 20 hours and 108 miles on it. The rear axle housing was shattered. He was runninging 27" blackwaters and must have been jumping it. The housing was smashed in 5-6 pieces.

Total cost...$1300 to replace and Kawi said 'no way' to the warranty. It was obvious he was jumping. I jump mine and ride HARD, never had a problem like that.