Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Spark Plug Reading

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2000, 06:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Everybody,

I called FST yesterday and was able to get through! I don't know who I spoke with but I asked some general tips about reading the sparkplug. He did say that a gray plug is ok. But the more important note is what he said about the old method of reading a plug. I asked why I don't see any tan or rusty coloring on the plug. He told me that this method of reading a plug is more of the older way. We used the example of what my Mojave uses. From the factory the plug is a NGK DP8EA9. He told me that on the NGK plug you will see a white horizontal line on the inside of the arm that goes over the electrode. The position of that line will tell you whether it is running lean or rich. The higher the line the richer it is; the lower the line the leaner it is. The perfect spot is about equal to the top of the electrode.

Does anyone have any comments on this. I have tried this "new" method (at least it is new to me) and it does work and I can see exactly what he is talking about...

Thanks,

Old 05-11-2000, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

Man I don't know what to beleive now!!! MOst people have told me that a gray plug means that it's lean and that it could burn up the motor. I don't know what to beleive now!! because I made the other topic "bayou220 spark plug". I'll see if my spark plug has that or not. thanks.

Old 05-11-2000, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer

I do agree with you Bayou220ATV. It does sound crazy but I have alittle trust in these guys. Everyone (especially the older crowd) kept telling me, "if it aint tan your lean. If it's black your rich!"
I really got tired of hearing that because I could never get a tan color out of my plug. Now granted in my car if I have about 30,000 miles on the plug and I pull it, it does have a tanny, rusty color...But when the hell am I going to put 30,000 miles on my 4-wheeler just to look for some tan color on my plug!!! The guy said as long as it's not white ashy looking I'm ok. But pay careful attention to where that line is. It will move with the changes in temp outside and even humidity.

It's crazy!

Thanks,

Old 05-11-2000, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

do all spark plugs have that line thing? I"m not sure if mine has it.

Old 05-11-2000, 09:55 PM
Trailblazer

I know this sounds stupid but try this. Hold your arm up in the air and place your hand over your head about 6 inches. Now with your other hand touch your elbow. If you look that is about the same spot where the top of your head is. That is about where the horizontal line should be...imagining that your arm is the arm over the electrode and your head being the electrode!!!

YEA, YEA, I know...Gotta lay off the pipe!!! Some people may think that I'm smokin something with that example but I hope it helped you understand alittle easier as to what I mean.

OH. Also the line on my plug is a solid white, kinda light gray perfectly straight line

Let me know if you see it on yours!

Thanks,

Old 05-11-2000, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

ahahah thanks for the laugh. yea I'll have to try it later (of course not while the neighbors are eating dinner outside or anything might look a little weird) but I'll try it later tomarrow. thanks again for the help!!

Old 05-12-2000, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

I checked my spark plug today and it doesn't have that horizontal line that you were talking about. But my spark plug is still light-dark gray colored. Now I really need to know is haveing a gray spark plug a serious problem because everyone in the atv chat room have said that I need to re-jet because the spark plug is gray and that it will cause serious engine damange. And if it isn't could you tell me what I should do and how you know what you know. I really have no idea who to trust because I don't know who to beleive, that gray is bad, or if gray is ok. thanks