Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Rough day playing with my V Force....and some observations.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough day playing with my V Force....and some observations.

Was playing with my son and a freind of mine doing wheelies, drag racing, jumping a small dirt ramp and trail riding.

Did too much of a wheelie on the V and stood it straight up on the grab bar (kicking me off the back) which bent it and broke my tail lite off. Bummer, that grab bar is flimsy! I was able to bend it back pretty easily if that tells you anything. Looks like I will be ordering an new aftermarket Fat Grab bar from DG....something that looks good and will hold up. Heck, I was going to anyway.

When we were done playing, we were power washing the quads and I noticed the right tie rod was bent.......double bummer. I don't know how that happened unless it was from jumping. Looks like I need to find one that is heavier duty maybe. Anyone familer with any after market tie rods? (I guess those gold/bronze colored bars are tie rods??).

Drag Racing was a ball up against my friend on a Z400. We did it the other day when the field was wet and I smoked him every time. Today was a different story on the dry field however, and I can tell you why..... When wet the Z400 could never get traction from the hole shot. The big heavier V with those holeshot tires could. Today however, on the dry ground we dragged about 10 times and we traded first place about half the time depending on who could get the best start. My problem was had a heck of a time keeping the front end down! When I could control my starts and keep the front end down there was no touching me! But I will tell you this, the Z400/KFX400 is a great bike and to be respected. Even when I did beat him, it was not by much, maybe a quad length or two.

The Z400 is very nimble on the trails, and hard to keep up except on the straight aways. I nearly lost it a couple of times around sharp downhill and uphill curves. The V is heavy that at times it can be a handful, feeling a little tall, causing some leaning in the curves. The V is awesome for hill climbing however! It goes up hills like a rocket, and even going up muddy creek banks it seems somewhat effortless so far where other lighter quads with less power and torque have problems(including the Z400). I think the nice holeshot tires give the V the extra grab it needs.

Remdies:
I am considering getting the Elka shocks and hope it gives me the extra stability I need on the trails. I wonder however, is there some adjustments that I can make on the stock V to lower it and make it more stable for trail riding? I understand the shocks are adjustable but have no idea on what settings to make them. It seems like I heard in this forum as well that doing something like this will also help me keep the front end down for drag racing? Could some of the more experienced V owners lend me your advise? How will it affect jumping ramps? Or should I just say uncle and get the Elkas and be done with it? I hear from forum members they are incredible.

FYI, I am placing my order on Monday for full body armor all the way around from DG, and also placing my order for dual DMC Alien Pipes.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 06-22-2003, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Brewster, great report, thx. Do a search, there is a company offering beefier Tie Rods, I remember there being a link also to a photo, much better.
From what i've learned about the Elka's, they will improve on everything you shared about the V's stock handling and light front end. They lower the bike which helps lower the CG, turns much better, and the suspension I understand is like night and day. I just installed them, I havn't gotten the V quite back togeather yet. So I can't give an honest review just yet. Take a look at my pictures, I posted some of the V, I installed the DMC system too. Fit and finish were A1. Thx again Brew, keep all four down, Putt

Old 06-22-2003, 08:57 AM
Pro Rider

Puttnutt, thanks for your input.......I looked at your pics and your bikes are absolutely awesome looking! Do you ride them or just wax them? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] That DS650 is to die for! How do you like it? And why did you get rid of the Preditor? I have read it is great machine.

I can tell your bikes don't get in the mud do they?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I am going to order the Elkas and Aliens this coming week as well as the full body armor all the way around........

Old 06-22-2003, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

Brewster, the Elka's will make the world of difference on your 700. If you didn't see my Elka MX review, I cut my lap times by 8 sec. This is by just getting shocks, a huge improvement over stock. Yesterday, I did my first trail ride with the Elka's. All I can say, my next GNCC race in Sep., I will do much better. The trails that I was on is very close to what a GNCC race is like, tight, rooty, rocky, and muddy. The shocks soaked up everything, and I was going much faster threw the trails then I could when I was stock. But the biggest thing that impressed me was, a lot less fatique factor. I wasn't tired at all, I could just keep riding. I felt like the Duracell bunny, keep going and going. I remember the GNCC race at Rausch Creek, and after the first lap, I thought to myself, "I got to do 3 more of these laps". I was that tired, and I practiced a lot before the race. So by putting on the shocks, I can ride longer and faster. By the way, I bent both my tie rods at that race, but have the $65 aftermarket ones on now. The only thing I feel the 700 needs to be even faster through the trails, is a steering damper. With all the roots and rocks on my trail, this is a must for a 700 to fully utilize the beast.

Old 06-22-2003, 12:23 PM
Range Rover

I absolutely agree about the ELKA's. I put my on this week and L O V E them!! What a difference worth every penny in my mind. It lowered the V by 1 1/2" but it feels so much more stable. I can do full throttle holeshots and the front is under much more control, the back shock soaks up the downward force of the take off and wheeliing is much more controlable. I can't wait till next Sat. GNCC race down in MD, is anyone else going, would love to meet up with some of you guys.
The KFX/Z400 is a great quad and very fast in it's own right, having both is great but for trail riding I like the V better especially now with the ELKA's.

Old 06-22-2003, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

O.K. guys I am sold on the Elkas......which ones do you recommend? And who did you buy yours from?