Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New Lakota seems to run HOT and stay HOT

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Lakota seems to run HOT and stay HOT

hey all
I donno if this is a problem but the new kota has about 7 hours on it and gets hot quick, and stays hot after and hour of sitting, is there something wrong, anythin to help it out or what?
thanks

Old 06-27-2003, 08:12 PM
Range Rover

Hey BigChris, I have a lakota, but my bike doesn't seem to stay hot that long. Do you have a supertrapp exhaust? After I replaced my exhaust, it heated up a lot quicker than the stock, but it doesn't stay hot for an hour of sitting. I'm guessing it stays really hot for about 20-30 minutes or so. Is it smoking or anything?

Old 06-27-2003, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

is it the motor that stays hot ??? check to see what prt of the motor is the hottest and check to make sure you have coolant and the coolant system works

Old 06-28-2003, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer

The Lakota is air cooled. Are you riding, or sitting with it running? We just got our Lakotas about a month ago, got about 11 hours on them, and they seem to cool off pretty good. As a matter of fact, after an hour of sitting, they start easier with a bit of choke... Whats holding heat?

Old 07-04-2003, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

OH MAN!!!!!!!

I think I found the problem, I am so stupid,
Ok My machine is brand new, and the dealer said he put OIL in it, the gauge was all black so i figured it was full, now i've been checkin the gauge and its been all black, so i decided the other day to open the oil cap .............it was so dry ah man, I of course filled it up but now it still runs so hott and then it will stay hot for 3 hours when not in use! It runs fine tho, like there is no power loss, but now i feel a resistance when givin gas, like the brake is on but it isnt, and when goin fast in 5th gear, it will stop on its own when I let go of the gas,
I am really POed someone please help a brother
out, how do I fix my machine without dealer help?
~THANKS~

Old 07-04-2003, 01:46 PM
Range Rover

BigChris, I feel you man. The same thing was happening to mine and I was almost pulling my hair out becaue I couldn't figure it out. Then I finally spoke to Gaff (an expert on lakota's, here on the forum) and he helped me out.
Look underneath your carborator, you may need to losen it to really look underneath( don't open it). There will be a tiny screw, i think it's called the fuel screw, tighten it all the way and then unscrew it 2 and a half turns. It sounds really easy, but that fixed mine from stopping when it is hot and in full speed. Good luck, tell me how it goes.

Old 07-04-2003, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

Hey if it's new it's under warranty.and most likely you have fried the motor.you cant run long with no oil.take it back and demand it be
repaired.It wasn't your fault they forgot to put the oil in it!

Old 07-13-2003, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

OK
I've been reading a lot about this "screw" and it sounds good, But I wanna pinpoint exactly where it is....cause my kota get real hot, even smoked a little today,.......so can you tell me exactly where i'll find it?
also..... i am gonna run it with 10w40 oil, will that improve over 10w30?
it runs ok i guess but it gets so hot it pisses me off....
also, I am thinkin about a 13t sprocket, but i hear you need a whole new chain for the sprocket..... someone help me on that one......

Any ideas on my little problem, I just hope it doesnt snowball into a big one.....
thanks

Old 07-14-2003, 12:59 AM
Range Rover

Well the fuel screw is located underneath the carborator. Losen up the screws on the side and pull it out so you cn take a better look. There is no need to open it up, all you need to do is flip it or look directly underneath. It is kinda hidden inside the vertical bar from underneath the carb. It is the only tiny screw underneath. That's the best way I can explain it without actually showing you. Anyway, first thighten the screw then losen it by turning it 2and a half turns. That should fix the heating problem. As for the oil, I don't think there is really a need to change it. First try the fuel screw.
As for the sprocket, there is no need to get a new chain, the stock one will do. All you need to do is losen it from the back, the manuel explains how to do it. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Old 07-14-2003, 08:11 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks mdyjeepgrl,
I will try that later today
if I have trouble I will post again, but I hope this fixes my heating problems
and thanks for the sprocket info!

Quick Reply: New Lakota seems to run HOT and stay HOT