Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 strange light question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 650 strange light question

Hello all,

Tonight I restarted my once submerged 650 Prairie fix up project.. I had to move to a new house so I have not had the time to mess with it... anyway, all is running well and I cruising around the hood and all of a sudden I notice the 4WD and 2WD lights are blinking.. one on the other off... one on the other off.. repeating. I shut it down and killed power then started it back up.. no blinking lights. Drove it again a short distance and they started up again. Does this have anything to do with low fuel? The only reason Im asking is that it is very low, as Im trying to run it out of gas...

Any help would be great.

Spitdriver

Old 07-23-2003, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

Go to Nyrocs web site and you will find some info there!

Old 07-23-2003, 08:19 PM
Trailblazer

I think I can help. I had the same problem on my submerged P-650. I submitted a previous message about two weeks ago under "2WD and 4WD drive lights flashing" if you want to search for it.

Basically when the lights flash off and on it indicates that the engine braking system / motor is not moving properly and has not re-set. If you noticed before, each time you turned the quad off you would hear a motor running and going through cycles. This re-sets the enging braking linkage back to the home position. When this does not happen, you get the flashing lights.

On my quad, the problem was corrosion inside the motor housing and brushes and the motor would not run properly. I took the three phillips screws out of the motor housing (Housing in on top of the front part the clutch cover, is a round metal cylinder about 1" in diameter by 1 1/2" deep) and removed the outer cover from the motor. There are no brushes that spring out or loose parts. Very easy. I then cleaned out the inside of this housing and put a drop of oil on the bearing in the end of the motor housing. Then I used a small piece of fine emory cloth and a small screwdriver set against the copper motor armature to clean the copper which looked very black and corroded. I turned the motor shaft by hand with the emory cloth dragging against the armature until it looked like clean copper. After that I cleaned the inside of the motor shaft and pieces with contact cleaner, lubed the end bearings and re-installed the motor housing.

I started the bike up and instantly the motor found its home position and all was well. At that point, I pulled the whole clutch cover off and cleaned off all the inside engine braking linkage and re-lubed. All told the motor took about 5 minutes and the clutch cover about 1/2 hour to do the job well.

If this is not the problem, the motor could be bad or the fuse could be blown under the seat and causing no power to reach the motor.