Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

The Kawasaki Praire 650... A "weak" machine?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 09:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Kawasaki Praire 650... A "weak" machine?!?!?!

A friend of mine has a P.650 and has nothing but trouble. Riding in 2 wheel drive in grass field going slow, there was a small stump didn't see. Went smack in the middle of the machine, not going fast enough it hung up on belly pan with front wheels on the ground back wheels a couple of inches off. Put it in 4-wheel drive went to take off blew front end. Got it back from shop drove it just around his yard & front end broke again. Got back from shop came up to my place to go riding. Went about a mile engine started smoking. Stopped brought it home Air filter fullof oil & engine clacking like krazy. Took back to shop first thing they said better check oil pump oil pump broke engine shot. Get back gas gets in oil there goes engine again. Back to shop floats and needle valve bad caused gas to get in oil. Gets it back shop screws up puts one of the 4- timing chains on 180 degrees off. no power back in shop. Gets back so far runs good. I'd of sold it long time ago. Hows that for problems on a new machine. Then I read somewhere on here somebody had the same problems. Guess they had several units with bad oil pumps.

Old 08-04-2003, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

PUTTPUTT...a bunch of us went up to Spooner last winter for somew trail riding, you have some awesome areas to ride up there...1st I've heard about bad oil pumps... I've posted on this before, but it is unforturate that you had to sell your Prairie ( most are very reliable, fun, hard working quads )... there are some very bad dealerships out there ( all brands )... seems like some shops will let anyone willing to get thier hands dirty, work in thier shop... it really is a "brand" problem, as a manufacturers equipment may be percieved as junk, just because the "local" dealership hires unqualified mechanics... as much as I like my Prairie, I'd be driving something else, if my local dealership sucked, as it is, they are only marginal, but I add the knowledge I pick up on forums like this ( I usually pre-diagnose the problem ), & the results are usually ok...WAM

Old 08-04-2003, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

Gas in the oil, alot of people have this. It doesn't seem to bother the majority of quads because its probably not alot of gas in the oil. Oil in the filter means it was over filled with oil. Front end went out because of driver error. The front tires need to rotate between 2 and 25 kph for the front end to engage. If the tires are off the ground they will not rotate and the front end may brake, well the 4x4 actuater will and it will seem like your front end is no longer working.

So the quad was never in fault, the dealership was crap and one driver error. If they knew about the 4x4 engagment system properly then there would of been no problem.