Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

The Kawasaki Praire 650... A "weak" machine?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Kawasaki Praire 650... A "weak" machine?!?!?!

Well, I let my brother, and a couple of his friends drive my atv's (I do not know why!). He was actually begging me so I just let him, but told him if anyone breaks anything, they pay!. Since I know my brother is a good driver, I let him take the prairie. His other two friends took my other atv's. I told them to be VERY careful and off they went. Well, when they got back, I noticed that the prairie looked like it was flipped! The front and rear racks were bent, as well the front bumper! I was furious with my brother, thinking he let his friend ride it. Well, he told me what happened, and the prairie didnt even flip! He told me that they had to go slow due to a 1 foot drop of into a creak, and his friend behind him hit the throttle (on the wolverine), instead of the break (what an idiot! lol). The wolverine hit the prairie in the back rack. Then, in turn, the prairie hit the rancher in the back rack. I checked both of the other atv's, and the only thing they have on them is a scratch! Meanwhile the prairie has a badly bent bumper, front and rear rack, broken rear carrier, and the left rear fender support snapped! Well, to top that off, his friend is not even paying for the damage! What an @%%. Has anyone else noticed that the prairie is not built that strong? Is it because they tried to cut back on weight, and used "weaker" materials? Sorry, I am just letting off a little steam.........

Old 07-30-2003, 01:59 PM
Trailblazer

Sound a bit like a fib. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I've been bumped before, at a pretty good speed and my quad only sustained a minor scratch.
However if you roll a prairie, the damage is identical to what you describe, trust me I know. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
I straighten my racks and bumper. It looks original again.

Old 07-30-2003, 02:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was going up a pretty steep hill and forgot I had it in two wheel drive. Needless to say she flipped over on me end over end. If the front wheel hadn't smashed into a tree, there would have been no damage. I was pretty surprised. I did bend the A-arm, which I thought I'd never be able to get fixed, since Kawasaki had them backordered. I would like to put in a plug for my dealer though (Jacobies of Seymour In. They took parts off a brand new P-650 on their showroom floor after waiting 3 weeks on Kawasaki. They're no. 1 in my book, now. Sorry about your ride. My friend rolled another friends Polaris on same hill I rolled and we payed approx. 500 dollars in skins and braces. They'll all damage if hit right. Either keep people off your four-wheeler or just let people ride it that will pay for it, if they break it.

Old 07-30-2003, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

No, I actually believe him because I know that he does not lie [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] You can seethat the small scratches on the wolverine and the rancher lign up exactly where the prairie is bent at. When I flipped my car, and trailer full of my wolverine and BB, going 60 mph down the highway, the looked only slightly worse than the prairie!

Old 07-31-2003, 10:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thats the difference in aluminum and steel my friend. The price we pay for the so called "weight shaving". Only difference in that and my 660 is that the Grizzly has freakin plastic everywhere rather than the luxury of aluminum.

(At least I think the prairie racks are aluminum, I might be totally wrong on everything here)

Old 07-31-2003, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

ANDYBASSHAM... the racks are steel & plastic ( no big deal )... but crumple zones are built into these vehicals to help reduce rider injury & major structural dammage to the quad... if your Prairie was lower than the other 2 & in the middle, it is unlikely that the quad was desighned to take an impact like that... the forces would be entirely different if the had been on level ground, & perhaps not as much damage would have occured... it's amazing how much cosmetic damage can occur in that situation... I let all my nieces & nephews ride our quads & borrow a few around the holidays... one of the all plastic racks on our 300 Prairie got destroyed when one of them ran into the back end of the other... as long as no one got hurt, I was ok with it... you should think twice about letting others use you equipment, as you could be liable for any injuries that they could suffer while riding your quads... WAM

Old 08-01-2003, 10:07 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: big4x4
No, I actually believe him because I know that he does not lie [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] You can seethat the small scratches on the wolverine and the rancher lign up exactly where the prairie is bent at. When I flipped my car, and trailer full of my wolverine and BB, going 60 mph down the highway, the looked only slightly worse than the prairie!
It seems we have a lot in common Big. I totaled my '01 Tundra, '03 MXZX 600, and trailer last winter. Wiped out on an icy bridge on the highway. Hit guard rail, sled was ejected from the trailer and truck stalled accross both lanes. I saw headlights approaching and got out of the truck and ran only seconds before my sled was hit by a Taurus and my truck T-boned by a 18 wheeler! Anyway, I now own a Avalanche and was wondering if my P650 will fit in the back. Have you tried it yet?

Old 08-01-2003, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

sledheadrich, The Avalanche is a SWEET truck. I hope you like yours. The only thing about it is you cannot see anything that is behind you. Just the other day I was trying to back up and ended up hitting a ford ranger. I checked everywhere, and No ONE was behind me! I was going like 2 mph and hit the ranger with my tailage down, since the atv was in the back of the avalanche. The avalanche had a whopping 55 dollars of damage, while the ranger had 1000! My next investment is a backup cam. And Yes the prairie will fit in the back of the Avalanche. You have to tuck in the fenders a little to get it in, and it is a pretty tight fit! The only thing is, you have to keep the tailgate down. If you want to put the tailgate up, you have to "converta cab" so you can shut it with the atv in the back. I hope you are alright from your accident

Old 08-02-2003, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer

I rolled my P650 at about 45mph. Only damage was broken rear view mirror and tour a little of the black skirting on the finders. I guess I was lucky it wasn't worse, but it seams the prairie is pretty tuff to me.

Old 08-02-2003, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

My son rolled ours, went end for end. not that much damage, just plastic!

I wish I could get our p650 in the Avalanche!

Quick Reply: The Kawasaki Praire 650... A "weak" machine?!?!?!