Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Check the plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 03:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check the plugs

This is my current plug reading; Check out my 6th picture. The front looks a little lean, while the rear looks rich. This seems kinda weird, normally the rear cylinder runs hotter therefore leaner. If I jack up the front jet it would be almost the same as my rear jet.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Any thoughts on what's going on? Thanks-Carl

Old 08-06-2003, 03:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default Check the plugs

Give it a few hours, I guess because I posted a new pic it may take a couple hours before it comes avaiable[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-06-2003, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Check the plugs

Depends on the altittude you ride at. The rear plug looks quite lean. They both should be the color of coffee with cream in it. There should be a nice little crown of whit crust around the tip of the electrode that should go no further than 1/5 the way down to the insulator.

Old 08-06-2003, 07:06 PM
Trailblazer
Default Check the plugs

Hey Mudfoot,

What size jets are you running? If you were running the quad hard when you took the plug reading I would say the rear one was perfect. If you were running it at low rpms at the time the rear may a little lean. The front one is real lean though. Maybe shim the needle or go up a size on the jet in the front. Keep in mind when your tuning that the jets mostly affect top end. The mixture screws and needle placement is going to affect the low end. How are those intake vents working out for you? Any turbulance, noise?

Old 08-06-2003, 07:54 PM
Range Rover
Default Check the plugs

i myself go by the color of the plugs to determine how my bike is running which i consider myself a good plug reader dont listen to the last two the back one ok maybe liitle rich to much gas not to lean the front one different story looks to lean but i cant really tell by picture light brown what u want looks little white

Old 08-06-2003, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default Check the plugs

Originally posted by: fullthrottlevforce700
dont listen to the last two
Fullthrottle?

Isn't that what I just said.... IMO the rear looks good ( I would rather mine be a little rich) and the front is way too lean.

Old 08-06-2003, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Check the plugs

Thanks Guys- I think the back one is a little rich, which I'm allright with. The front is tan, but I gotta get a little more color to it. The plugs were new at the beginning of the day, we rode for a total of probablly 3.5 hours mostly high RPM[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'm going out to the garage to change the front main, up 1 size. I'll keep you posted. I tried to get a decent pic of the plugs, but the flash was a little too much. Wish me luck!

Trending Topics

Old 08-06-2003, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default Check the plugs

BuggyBrian- I do like the TPI vents, they allow me to alter the air flow enough to richen/lean it out a little. Easy install, just don't do like I did, used my rotozip over the kitchen sink thinking it wouldn't make that much of a mess...My wife knows I crazy know[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-06-2003, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer
Default Check the plugs

Hey Mudfoot,

If you were running hard, the rear one could be a little rich. As long as it doesn't sputter off the line I would let it ride. Just sweeten up the front and you should be fine. Thanks for the heads up on the vents. I'm still trying to decide on pipe, air box mods, etc.

Old 08-07-2003, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider
Default Check the plugs

I put my HMF pipes on about 3 or so months ago, I own so many Keihin jets now I should be a retailer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I dialed it in pretty good with them but I had to try the dynojet kit. The needle is tapered more than the stockers, so I am hoping that I will richen it up throughout the full spectrum of the throttle. The way I look at it is the longer I have to wait to rebuild(richer running) the more I can spend on the fun stuff, if only there was a CDI unit, now that would be cool. Thanks for the reply-Carl