Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2 stroke KX250 eating oil and blowing it out its rear!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 09:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 stroke KX250 eating oil and blowing it out its rear!

first of sorry if this is a little of topic being that this is a atv forum but this is really bothering me, This bike has been sitting for 2 plus years my mixture is 42 -1, the oil level always seems low after I ride it, and I have noticed that it smokes really bad and blackish oil substace is dripping out the silencer. Now I know it sounds bad but this machine starts on almost every kick and shifts and runs great, do you guys think there is some seal blown out somewhere (no oil outside the motor except minor oil leak around the clutch cover which I will be replacing the gasket) or do you think it may be from storage, and it just needs to be burned out?

Old 08-08-2003, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

hello

couple questions
What do you mean the oil is low? (crankcase)
Has the bike been sitting with gas/oil mix in it?

This is what I think is your problem is beings you say it runs. The black stuff is spooge (burned 2 stroke oil) It sounds like the bike needs jetted. Its running too rich. What does the spark plug look like.
If you want more help try these web site. I know its not kawi but the guys are great and they'll help ya!

aaron

Old 08-08-2003, 11:15 PM
Range Rover

Yes the bike was sitting with gas-oil mix in it, and the guy put on a FMF silincer and did not rejet it, and yes the crank case window is showing low oil, after 20 mins of riding. The bike smokes like crazy, but my biggest concern is where the oil is going.

Old 08-09-2003, 01:08 AM
Range Rover

if you're losing gearbox oil, it sounds like you have a bad clutch side crank seal.

Old 08-09-2003, 10:09 AM
Range Rover

trailblazer I see that your from the neighborhood, thanks for the response. Know you say clutch side crank seal, are you talking the clutch cover seal or are you talking about a seal that is inside the crank case or around the crankcase. On another forum I was told that to change the crank case seals on a kawasaki I was looking at pulling the crank case apart.

Old 08-09-2003, 11:03 AM
Range Rover

diagram can anyone look at this and tell me if they think the case has to be split to replace the seals? sorry they will not let me directly link the page. "Kawasaki KX 250 1992"

Old 08-09-2003, 01:35 PM
Range Rover

according to the parts diagram in the crankcase section, part no. 92049. and you might have to split the cases tho replace it, it looks like on the diagram there's a stepped area that the seal sits against from inside the case. you can check by pulling the clutch sidecover and taking off the 2 gears on the end of the crank(you might have to take off the clutch basket), and then see if you can get it out. if you do have to split it, you might as well put in main bearings as well and the left side seal. i know on my 86 tecate you have to split em to change either side.

Old 08-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Range Rover

yea looks as if I should just do it all check everything once im in there. thanks for the reply

Old 10-16-2003, 10:28 PM
Range Rover

just to update this post for other readers, I had to split the case and ended up replacing the crankshaft, crank, main bearings, oil seals, and all the gaskets and did some minor topend work. it took me some time but was all worth it I accomplished this all for around 250-300 and 7 hours labor I could cut price and time with what I know now but I learned alot and the bike runs awsome, I was quoted 300+ parts at local shop so I saved big time. Later

Old 10-17-2003, 01:22 AM
Range Rover

I would change your mixture to 32:1 that will help with the smoking and improve the performance. At 42:1 your running too rich. I've raced KX250's for 6 years and did most of my own maintenance, but now I'm going to try the new KX250F four stroke (if it would ever come in). When you get it back together run the highest octane fuel you can get (preferably 92) and mix it 32:1 , make sure to check your plug you might need to rejet. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2 stroke KX250 eating oil and blowing it out its rear!