Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

25in Mud lite question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 25in Mud lite question

Compared to stock how is the ride and the ease of steering? I'm am thinking about getting a set, I ride in rocks and trails the most. I have 25in. Bear Claws right now, I really like them and they are tough and get great traction but when you get in tight technical sections it becomes hard to steer and they took away a little of the sportyness out on the trail. I'm looking for something a little less agressive. Any input would be helpful.

Old 08-09-2003, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

I got some on my P650, I got the stock size. I'm not really impressed with they, I wanted a more solid tire. They do not act like a 6 ply tire, more like a 4 ply. Maybe the 25 is a 4 ply. The stearing is alot different, I think for the worse if your looking for a sporty ride but if your riding trails and rocks they will work OK. Once I get my rims my outlaws will be going on and I doubt I will have my mudlites back on. I already got a puncture on one of my rear tires. The number one reason I got these tires was so I wouldn't get flat tires. My outlaws have never gotten a flat from a puncture.

I would try the ATRs if I did it again.

Old 08-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have the 25inch mudlites and I honestly don't have much to compare them to (I only had the stock tires/rims on for 12 miles before switching to mudlites). I like the fact that they are very light weight and the way they handle and get better traction compared to stock tires, but I don't know how they are compared to other aftermarket tires. I believe what bbertram said about them feeling like 4ply is probably right (despite the fact that they are advertised as 6 ply).

One bad characteristic is the lugs seem to get chewed up easily (I'm not sure if mine were eaten up by rock climbing or by riding on pavement - neither of which I do a lot, but the lugs are definitely look eaten up after only 350 miles). As a result, I don't think these tires will last as long as 6 ply tires should.

As far as traction goes, the tread design allows them to clean themselves in the mud very well. This is a big improvement over some other brands like the ATRs. I've heard others on this forum complain that ATRs are lousy in deep mud and others still have complained about the ATRs spinning on the rim / getting flats often. All I can say is I've never had a flat during the 350 miles I've put on my mudlites. However, my mudlites seem to spin endlessly in the sand and loose dirt, so I sometimes wish I had slightly more aggressive tires or deeper lugs to get better traction in the loose stuff.

I do like the way these tires ride, they are pretty smooth except when riding at 2 or 3 mph on hardpack because they are a bit rough at this slow speed. If I had to do it over again, I believe I would buy the 26 inch mudlites because the lug size jumps dramatically on the 26 through 28 inch mudlites compared to the 25 inch mudlites.

Good luck with your tire choice.

Old 08-10-2003, 02:46 PM
Range Rover

I just want to thank bbertram and Mikeyboyesq for their info it is much appreciated.

Old 08-11-2003, 04:03 AM
Pro Rider

you want a less aggressive tire than the bearclaw?? look at the Maxxis Alltraks. just rated at two ply though.....may punture easily but GNCC riders seem to liket them alot......Maxxis BigHorns may be the ticket your look for also.

From all the negatives i've read about the mudlite i just can get myself to like/recommend them

l8r
cart