Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

module test teaser...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default module test teaser...

Well.....this disapoints me some. There is no advantage over stock with either module really, could this all be in our head? We want something so bad we get fed a sugar pill and everything is all right till the CDI comes out? I don't know. My nabor module should be here soon, maybe this week, and I will have to do a small test myself, probably a seat of my pants test though.

Old 08-18-2003, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

Brent, I think they both added more wheel spin, & of course the time differences would have been more appearent on concrete, but then STAKK would have had to come over & bail us out of jail...LOL...

it is interesting though, that the 1/2 mile run with the Naber module was clearly faster than without the module... we got going on DWB's springs runs & missed the D.G.R. 1/2 mile run, so I'll do it ASAP... I'm curious about that one myself...

both modules feel more powerful, as explained by my last edit on the results post... WAM

Old 08-18-2003, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

I forgot about the dirt.....ah yes, now its making more sense. You need a drag strip or better yet an air strip....lol.

Old 08-18-2003, 10:00 AM
Trailblazer

My testing was less scientific, but the results seem to be the same. I planned on testing the modules with the G-timer GT2 timing device, but it would not give readings for some reason. It worked great on all my cars, but something about the quad caused it not to function.

Anyways, I was only able to test top speed in a given distance. With the quad stock, I was able to achieve a speed of 50mph in a distance of about 400ft or so. With the DG module, it felt more powerfull, but still consistently only hit 50mph. With the nabor module, I was able to hit 51mph in the same stretch. Both the nabor and the DG felt much stronger from the start and once or twice the nabor pulled a small wheelie after about 15 feet when it really hooked. I was in 4wd High for all runs.

I noticed that on asphault, the nabor and dg modules would wheelie with ease in 4wd high from a start and sometimes spin the tires. I had to yank on the handlebars to pull a wheelie stock. I am not sure how this extra power at the start does not equate to more top speed in my runs. Maybe i didn't take the quad to a high enough speed to show the advantages of the nabor holding 28* to redline. At what rpm (and MPH) does the stock CDI start retarding timing on the top end?

--Ray

Old 08-18-2003, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

RAYNIST... 1st, thank you for going through the "bother" of doing the tests... If the DGR tech ( Scott ) is correct, & all that the module does, takes place in the fraction of a second, it makes sense that you'll only see a fraction of a second decrease in times... I'll agree, that it makes the quad more fun to ride ( wheelies, etc. )... again, it is curious that we had a definate decrease in times for the 1/2 mile, with the Naber module ... I personally can't wait to see how the DGR module does in the 1/2 mile ... sorry we missed that one, I'll get it ASAP... WAM

Old 08-18-2003, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

Guys

Good information, now we need a spring test.

thanks for all the hard work. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-18-2003, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

SHOTGUN... I've already gotten a 700 V/P primary spring coming, I may just order an EPI "pink", & a Dalton "blue", & test those 3 against the new stock '03 spring currently on my quad ??? WAM

Old 08-18-2003, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

newbeatle;

that would be great, nothing like hard data. no guessing.

Your findings proved what I have thought all along.

I'm going to rig my freedom cycle up to a trigger, when it comes down from wheeling, it will convert back to normal.

All throttle, no bottle. maybe throttle and bottle.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-18-2003, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Is anyone going to do any test on pavement so that there will be legitimate results? You can test acceleration when you have wheel spin involved. You're introducing too many variables in there. What I mean is that you can increase horsepower 3 fold and your acceleration will still only increase to a certain degree. The traction is where you lose the acceleration. Until you do the test on pavement and eliminate the wheel spin, the test will be somewhat useless.

Old 08-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

Rebel, you are right about the dirt. However, the results are "legitimate" enough for the comparison of different products. The results actually prove what that DG tech has said about using frequency generation on the speed sensor input. The CDI does not alter timing based on speed except for when taking off from a stop (in which case it retards timing to prevent wheelies). There is no validity to the claims that higher frequencies or switching frequencies will produce any better timing that a module that is just plain always on one frequency. The DG module is always on. It doesn't switch at all. No speed loss. When you turn the key on, it instantly begins telling the CDI you are moving (faster than 3mph).

This spring data interests me, since other people have claimed their black spring made them slower, and newbeetle's test didn't show much difference.

Quick Reply: module test teaser...