Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

K&N Air Filter give Lakota more performance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Air Filter give Lakota more performance?

Hey I hear the stock air filter blows ..........soo naturally I looked up the K&N on Rockymountain....$40 for it.........my question is, does this improve the performance on the kota worth $40, i mean for that money just for a filter, i'd hope it does alot
any input?

Old 08-20-2003, 04:13 PM
Trailblazer

BigChris
I have a 01 Lakota and i took the whole airbox off and went with a uni clamp-on filter, also a dg xcellerator stage 3 pipe and a 145 main jet(might need a 150), 3 turns out on the air screw and the quad has alot more nuggets now. Hope this helps
Mooch

Old 08-20-2003, 06:17 PM
Trailblazer

Moochie, I did the same thing BigChris did but with a K+N, when I brought my Kota' home it was in buckets. Holes in the air system behind the filter led me to replace the entire system. Once I checked on the cost, I said NO WAY. This quad doesn't see deep soupy mud (over a foot or so or water over about 18" or so). I yanked all the air box plumbing off it and went to Autozone and looked through the K+N catalog. I measured my carb throat and orderd a conical shaped filter. Two days and $22 bucks later, the K+N was directly mounted to the carb via hose clamp(FYI, the measurement for the filters in the catalog is in millimeters) and works great. I am still running the stock exhaust so there was no need for a rejet. The quad definitly has more stones. The carb placement naturally allows for good protection from the elements. I have ridden in dust, mud, snow, rain, and never had a problem. If I put a pipe on it, I will have no choice but to rejet as the reduced backpressure will allow for the K+N to really flow. That is the only "performance" mod and it has no problem smoking the Rancher, Foreman, Rubicon, Prairie 360 and several others we ride with.

Good luck!

Old 08-20-2003, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replies, i hear tho that
the K&N air filter(the one that would go where the airbox cover is) gives a lot better throttle response, like alot better than stock air filter
is there a BIG difference or what?
thanks

Old 08-20-2003, 08:37 PM
Range Rover

If you are running an open airbox I would suggest an Outerwears pre-filter. You will have some protection from sucking in any water on accident.

Old 08-20-2003, 09:33 PM
Range Rover

Hey you lakota guys, give the girls back their quads!!!get serious and learn how to drive a standard.Go to the dealer -he has your performance upgrade. KFX 400-700 and soon the 450!!!Put the the big overweight kows out to pasture.

Old 08-20-2003, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

hey deautraaaaaaaa whatever the hell your name is, shut the f#ck up.

Old 08-20-2003, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

Hey deautaronomy if going to be a little B***h than get out of here we dont need people like you in here so GET THE H&LL OUT!!

Big Chris,

To awnser your question i would get the K&N Clamp on directly to the carb with an outerwear and pitch the air box for maxium preformance. (This is of course is you dont ride in muddy or deep water conditions)

Old 08-20-2003, 09:56 PM
Range Rover

WOW!!!! So sensative- We cant have a little razzing hre among kawi people . and the language !! I bet you guys litter. I was just trying to help. Hope you girls oops guys can get over this !!

Old 08-20-2003, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

i doo ride in deep water and mud so im just gonna get the filter
S@*$*)#*%@ ME
I have both sides of the rear plastic cracked, the raack attachment screws rip right out of the plastic when you roll the kota, i rolled it twice, when it comes to injury i been lucky as for the quad , the bars strip, plastic cracked.....i am a little heated..AT MYSELF this is a brand new kota which i gotta pay for soon cause my dad finansed it for 2 years, he hate me jumping it and yells about that, i think i will die if he finds out about the plastic, ive been covering them with stickers, but they dont stay over the crack very well its only alitttle time till he finds out ...then im screwed

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter give Lakota more performance?