Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 Died the other night

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 05:31 PM
EXT
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 650 Died the other night

Just a helpful hint for others that may end up with this same problem.
I was riding along when the buggie started sputtering and just died. I tried to start it but -- No Go.
I sat and had a smoke and thought what could be wrong. After about 10 mins I tried it and it started right up .OK I thought just one of those things . I went about 30 ft and it died again.
This went on for about 1/2 an hor. It then donned on me it seemed like a fuel related prob. I loosened off the gas cap and heard quite a woosh noise. I drove home with the cap loose and fond that the vent up into the frame was completly plugged w mud.
It is supposed to have a 1 way valve to keep this from happening but it didn't work on mine.
Anyone else have this problem??

Old 08-25-2003, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

never heard of that...all I know is that your money would have been more wisely spent on a Yamaha [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I would say call your dealer and tell them about it. Is your machine still under warranty? If not, dont fix it, sell it! Buy a new Grizz.

Old 08-25-2003, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

Whew! What is that horrible smell? What the? Now my new optical mouse is all caked with Bull Excrement. I should have stayed out of this thread.

EXT, actually he is correct, if it was a yamaha the belt would have gotten wet first or you would have cracked a CV joint long before you got that much mud on the end of the tank hose. You would never have been able to drive far enough to get that much mud. Problem solved. U Probably would have had to stay home adjusting valves again if it was a yam.

EXT, seriously, some people have been running the tank vent all the way up to the instrument cluster where the other vents are. There is supposed to be a check valve. It can still clog. Other people take that valve off and just use a small fuel filter in it's place.

Old 08-25-2003, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a fluke EXT. Nyroc has a good tip though.

It also sounds like someone needs to go back to the Yammie forum. There are a lot of broken Yamaha's that need someone's expertise there.

Old 08-25-2003, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

Try putting a piece of foam over the end of the filter. And as for the grizz take it as deep as the prairie and the vent will shut the carb down been there done that just try it. The vent filter actually allows for a little displacement of air if the quad should become submarined to give ya a little time to get it out. The Polaris routes theirs to the top of the tank and sometimes down into the stem for a higher vent location however if you want to change yours you can there is room under the red plastic on the handlebars for another tube. Sometimes taping the vents to ya helmet is not enough [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2003, 10:03 PM
EXT
Trailblazer

Yes I was thinking about running the vent hose up to the instr cluster on the handlebars where the other vents run to.
As far as the Yammie quotes I am a dirt biker from the late 70's. My first bike was a 1976 YZ 80 {the first year they made em}after that a 80 or 81 YZ 125 and then a 84 Yz 250. Iwas only running sleds for a few years and then started looking at buggies.
The 650 fit my bill for what I wanted .I had the chance to run the new Grizzly as well as the Kawi {fatherinlaw and his brother both have Kawis and a good friend of mine has a 660} and frankly the 650 was what I wanted.
They both have pros and cons but I found the 650 to be more able in mud in stock form.Now we are both running 26 inch Vampires ,My 650 will turn em much better in the goo than the Yammie will.
It seems to have alot more bottom end than the Yammie.
Time and time again we have proven it.We run together alot so we are doing Real world testing.
The Yammie is alot easier to get a wet belt with in water play.He now just stays out of the deep stuff when we play.
The Gris has a softer ride but it seems to be cv joint friendly { likes to eat em LOL}. 2600 haard kms on the 650 and other than 1 belt at around 2400km it works fine,the key to anything mechanical is regular maintenace no matter what brand it is.
My 2 cents worth anyways.