Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Observations on my P650 and P360 upgrades. Need Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Observations on my P650 and P360 upgrades. Need Advice.

I just wanted to post my observations on my new tires for my P650 and my P360. These are just my observations, and not fact by any means.

I put new 26" Radial Outlaws on C-Series rims on my 650. I want to say that my ATV is quite new, put the new tires on at 50 hours of use. Never had I had a belt problem, and the stockers did OK. Honestly, I changed them out more because all the posts saying how thin walled they were and how essential it was to changing them out. Well, after getting over a small bead leak hurdle, thanks to Highlifters GrassHog, by applying some Highlifter Leak Stopper, I was finally able to take the quad out on the Radials. I noticed right off, driving the quad up the ramp of my trailer, the belt slip. I had to back down and get more of a running start to get on the trailer. Once out the road, I found when going up steep inclines, the same issue. Infact, I smelt burning rubber when stuck in some soft sand, as the belt (I assume) slipped. The ride is a bit bumpy, but I am running about 8 PSI right now, will drop the PSI a couple pounds or so when I know my bead is sitting properly with no leaking. I have not put in any spring modifications, but am considering taking the 26 inch mudlites with the stock rims off my P360 and putting them on my 650, and putting the Radials in the closet until possibly winter.

As to my 360, My wife doesnt like the "Bumby ride" the 360 has with the mudlites anyway, and the drop in speed she recieved she does not like either. She actually prefers the stockers I believe. I am also considering taking the front tires off the 360, and putting the stockers on, then putting the front Mudlites onto my 650, replacing the Radials, in hopes that maby the lighter tires in the front will help the belt slippage. I hate to think of the wear I am doing to my machine though, especially when I smell burining rubber. Also, I admit I am not an expert driver, but 3 times now I have been stuck with my Radial Outlaws, while I was never stuck on my stock tires. The wet sand could have been wetter with the radials, but it almost feels that they are so heavy, that I am just sinking, or digging into a hole rather than powering out of it. These are supposed to be mud tires, is wet sand, like what you would find in a wash or stream not mud? or does it act differently. Again this is just my uneducated observations, but my thinking is that if I am stressing my machine, and not keeping unstuck to boot, maby my 1100 spent for tires for both machines could have been better spent elsewhere. Maby my next trip out will give me a different opinion, but time shall see.

If anyone got this far along in this post, please add your comments what you would do with the 2 ATV's tires, mix them, nix them or just stick with what I got.

Old 09-02-2003, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Observations on my P650 and P360 upgrades. Need Advice.

Sell those outlaws on ebay.

Use the stockers for the children's playset. Do not let them near your ATV's. They create unsafe handling on ATV's due to excessive sidewall flex. People have been hurt seriously with stockers. Pick a tire like the ITP ATR, Bighorn, All Trak, Goodyear rawhide grip, or something depending on where you ride. I haven't heard all that much good about those outlaws. There are better mud tires. The goodyear mudrunner might be your best compromise if you mud alot. Some like bear claws. Whatever you do, kill those stockers. Sell them on ebay (people with poor handling hondas buy them up quick). You might like the mudlites on the 650. That is ok. Unless you don't like your wife and want to do her harm, get her something else.

Another thing:

Your belt should not even dream about slipping if it has been maintained correctly. I use to have 28" mudzillas and it didn't slip (it grabbed extremely well).

A loose belt slips.
A slipping belt gets glazed and makes the problem worse.
A slipping belt wears grooves in the pulley.
Excessive grooving causes CVT problems and the pulley sheaves are about $150 each (online, you need 2 or 4).
Some people's belts have only lasted 350-700 miles due to neglect, plus they spend a lot more $ on the sheaves.

That may sound like doom and gloom for belt drives. Here is the bright side.

A tight belt doesn't slip. It grabs ferociously. It won't ever get glazed. It last many miles (2000 or so?).
The EPI black spring reduces slippage and increases belt life. May not be absolutely necessary if you have 25" tires. Jury is still out on this.
Always drive in low range unless you absolutely need high to go over 30-35. Saves belt and pulleys.
You can do this stuff easily yourself with common tools (and one homemade one). You might do a better job on it than the dealer. The underpaid 16 year old that works at the dealership might not have any idea what makes the belt last longer. Make sure you trust the dealer's expertise before you let them take care of it.