Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Bayou 220 Winch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-1999, 12:45 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who sells a winch mount for my 1990 Bayou 220?

------------------
Mud_Runner 98' Wolverine,Warn Winch, Aluminum Skid plate, A-arm guards.

Old 12-10-1999, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

I don't believe Warn makes one. Just a suggestion: you can mount a 1/4" steel plate on your front rack and mount the winch there. It will be up and out of the water and mud and easy to access. Post what you end up doing, I am sure others would want to do the same.

Old 12-13-1999, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

Mudrunner,

I have seen a mounting plate advertised for the Bayou 220 and could probably go back and find it. However, may I question why you would want to mount a winch on such a small machine. I also own a Bayou 220 and in the few cases where I lost traction, I simply got off the bike and shifted it by hand. Of course this would be more difficult with a larger quad which is probably why the mounting plates as easily available for those in the range of 300cc and above.

May I also suggest you look at one of the hand winches that can be mounted to the front or rear racks. Of course it wouldn't have that "off road" look that you might be looking for. However it should be very effective on a smaller quad and save you major bucks.

Take care.

Old 12-13-1999, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply, but it's obvious to me that either are new to riding, or you avoid the technical stuff that would require a winch. My group consists of a Grizzly, a Wolverine, A 400 ex, a Recon, and the Bayou. Only the two Yamaha's have winches. I Ride the Wolverine and spend as much time winching others through mud or out over the steep creek banks as I do rescuing my own hide. Although there not the best winch available, Superwinch is selling the T1500 through Cabelas for $139.00.It includes all the wiring and the switch. This is very resonable in my opinion. Believe it or not, but here in the Northwest,it's easy to find yourself in a situation where you are stuck, can't go foreward or turn around and would love to have any size quad behind you with the capability of assisting your rescue. Also they are very handy when traversing a steep ledge where the trail might be sluffing and you can feel the bike slipping to the outside. Just tie on to the tree ahead and stand way over on the inside footpeg leaning into the hill. You can then easily and reletively safely conquer the obstacle and continue on your ride. No insults intended, and if you see someone offering a bracket, please let me know. Thanks, & Ride Smart!!

------------------
Mud_Runner 98' Wolverine,Warn Winch, Aluminum Skid plate, A-arm guards.

Old 12-16-1999, 02:07 PM

KAWASAKI HAS A WINCH MOUNT AVAILABLE #KLF220-100 IS THE PART NUMBER AND RETAIL AT $64.95 CHECK W/ DEALER SHOULD BE AVAILABLE

------------------

Old 12-17-1999, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

Somebody can always find the part that seems not to exist. Good find.
Mudrunner-any winch is better than none, huh? I have used mine for many other things. On the Bayou 220--One of my assistants has one with Kenda Bearclaws on the back and she can go! I once saw a big fat guy (no offense to big fat guys)on a 220 and he was smoking thru some mudholes. It was a surprise at first and then it was just entertaining and funny to watch him plunge in. He ran off into every hole. Another guy (a lawyer) with a Grizzly and about $1,000,000 worth of add-ons would not get off the pine needles and into the mud! He had a nice atv, he just did not want to get it muddy. We really stayed on him. He took it well.