Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Bayou 300 WAY too slow!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-1999, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to tell you all that the bayou 300 is way way too slow.My friend asked me over to his house the other day to ride with him on his fairly new bayou 300 2x4.I took my trusty old '84 ATC 200S on over,I was happy to see what an old ATC can do to a new 300 quad.First when I saw the new quad i thought,man,big mistake,i am going to be totally embarrassed.Well we went out riding,I totally KILLED him!The only thing I liked about that thing was it's super smooth ride!But to hell with that piece of crap!I ran circles around that quad,ON A STOCK ATC 200S!!!!!

Old 12-13-1999, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

Ryda,

Being one of the last pure utility quads still on the market, the Bayou 220, 300 and 400 were designed more as work machines for those who don't have speed in mind. I own a Bayou 220 and use it primarily for hunting purposes. It is difficult to look for tracks and other sign when traveling much above walking speed. And even here in Texas, the wind chill alone can be enough to make you travel slow on those frosty mornings. My neighbor rides a Bayou 400 which has plenty of power for plowing food plots and hauling heavy loads.

If speed is what you have in mind, check with someone who owns a Mojave instead. I hear they are an excellent example of a sport/utility machine.

Take care.

Old 12-13-1999, 06:57 PM
Trailblazer

I have seen a mojave in action.That is one quad i wouldn't mind having.Also,about the story,there was this hill pretty close by where we were riding and we went up it.The bayou,we had to put in first to go up that hill from starting at the very bottom.My 200S started in first and made it all the way into third!When we tried to shift the bayou into 2nd it made it up,just lugged it the rest of the way.

Old 12-31-1999, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

I just today bought two brand new Bayou 220s for rentals. I'm used to riding a Grizzly. For $3,000.00 you really do get a machine that's worth owning. I'm impressed!

Old 01-17-2000, 06:01 PM
Range Rover

Hey........ I own a 99 Bayou 300 4x4, and Its one awesome machine.... i dont find it slow at all, it can smoke a 350 big bear 4x4, and can go more places that it...... i never brought it for speed, so i dont really care how fast it goes, i bought it for, hunting, fishing, and just plain 4x4in'..........take care

Old 01-17-2000, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too slow? Too slow for what, Ryda? Anyway, wow, thanks awfully for telling us! Actually, I never noticed!

Ryda, meet me at the Tasker's Gap parking lot Sunday, February 20, 2000; 9:30 a.m.; we've seven miles to Little Fort, over the Blue Ridge summit on Powell Mountain Trail; bring your trike.

Tree Farmer

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 01-17-2000).]

Old 01-18-2000, 03:58 PM
Range Rover

Ryda,

The Bayou 300 is too slow? Too slow for what? Drag racing a top-fueler? Probably, but for crawling along through the mud, rocks, gullies and streams of something like the poker run at Cochranton, PA, where 20 MPH down a narrow, twisty tree-lined trail can be frighteningly fast, it’s more than fast enough!

My 13-year old daughter finished the 35 mile Trail B at Cochranton last year aboard her ’91 Bayou 300 4x4. In the process she passed several Banshees, Blasters, Warriors, and various trikes stuck in the mud or on hills. It didn’t seem to bother her any that the Banshee equipped with Toomey T-5s that she passed had a theoretical top speed nearly double that of her Bayou, she still waved as she cruised past while he sat there spinning his wheels and ineffectually rocking his crotch-rocket from side to side.

She finished the poker run way ahead of him and many others like him. Not due to a blistering top speed, but due to using a vehicle better suited to the task at hand.

Another case in point occurred at Cochranton when my party of ten quads was stuck at the bottom of a deep muddy gully behind a Yamaha Warrior. The Warrior pilot made at least ten attempts to exit the gully via a not so terribly steep channel at the far end of the gully, all of which failed. My patience was finally exhausted. I could wait no more. Doug B. took his Bayou 300 up and out of the gully on a much steeper hill than the one that stopped the Warrior. I followed him on my Bayou 400, and I was followed by my daughter on her Bayou 300, who also had no problem with the hill. I then drove over to where the Warrior was stuck, backed more than half way down the hill, threw a towrope to the Warrior pilot, and pulled him up the hill. This allowed the rest of my party to exit the gully without incident. (And in case your inclined to doubt this tale, Tree Farmer was among those waiting for the Warrior to get clear of the hill. He witnessed my daughter and me exit the gully via the steep hill, and he witnessed me pull the Warrior out of the gully).

You have a lot to learn about perspective. If you and your “stock ATC 200S” were magically transported from the Arizona desert to the mud of Cochranton, you’d probably end up every bit as embarrassed you thought you might be, and in short order too.

Army Man

Old 01-18-2000, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

T.F. Is that a vein poking out of your forehead?

Brian

Old 01-18-2000, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang, Dusty! You read me like a book! Touche'! Am I THAT obvious?

Owning both a Honda ATC and a Bayou 300 4X4 clearly didn't immunize me from a typical Forum reader's reaction when I thought one machine misrepresented by another poster. Other Bayou owners, to their credit, responded more confidently and cooly than I.

You know me but too well, Dusty; I surprise myself!

Tree Farmer

Old 01-18-2000, 08:46 PM
Trailblazer

Your right,my ATC probably would suck at that run,maybe what i should have phrased it in a different way,anyway,that bayou does not belong in AZ.Going up hills my ATC still beat it while gaining gears.Maybe I would probably like the 400.Either way i would get a smooth ride.So,LATER PEOPLE!!NO FUN!!
(just a joke)