Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 new belt lowered top speed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 650 new belt lowered top speed!

You measured the belt right then. You should take a look at that module.

Old 09-10-2003, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

Back fire out the carbs is lean.

Back fire out the exchaust is rich or miss fire.

Old 09-10-2003, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok here is the update. This afternoon I put a switch on the Naber Module to see if that was the problem, unfortunetly no difference with or without the module except for the lauch difference. But on my way back to the shop I was cruising along at 25 to 30 thinking about what else it cold be and it started to surge at that speed! So from 25 and up it will surge but not consistantly. Like I said it feels like it want's to open up but then it seems to lose some power and I definetely don't have the high end power going up the hills slows it down 5mph were before I would drop maybe 1mph. I tried pushing the reverse override with no results and then I tried one last thing I remembered what shotgun said about back fire out the exhaust ment to rich so just to see what would happen at 45 I turned the choke on all the way to the left and nothing! When I say nothing it I mean it didn't even skip a beat, correct me if I wrong but shouldn't turning the choke on make it run to rich even at high RPM? At speeds lower than 20 to 25 it makes a difference it will spit and sputter but at the higher speeds nothing. In an earlier post I mentioned that I replaced the choke springs when I did this I just went to my local parts store with the old one in hand and found a spring that was a little longer and it seemed to work. But I really haven't rode it much since then. Could it be that this thing is choking out? Sorry for all the long post.

Old 09-10-2003, 10:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

well I just went out and tore the choke spring assembley apart and stretched the springs to make sure they were closing with a tight seal and agian no luck it is still surging like normal I went and took everything off that I put on with the same results surging! Is there anyway that the Naber Module could have fried any of the electronics or has anyone heard of such a thing? HELP!

Old 09-10-2003, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Cisco1
All of these problems started when You installed the module, i would remove it first, it is probably the problem.If that is not the problem make sure the belt is moving all the way up and down the clutches, a stuck clutch will surge like a lack of fuel but that is highly unlikely.

Old 09-10-2003, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

are you absolutely positive, that the module is / was hooked up to the right wires ??? so many people have hooked these modules up wrong, even though the instructions are fairly simple, people get in a hurry to try them out, & assume that they fully understood the directions, only to find that they did something wrong during hook up...

unless your'e the first, I haven't heard of anyone with these new generation modules, get a CDI screwed up from one of them...

Old 09-11-2003, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Newbeatle, I just came in from the shop and I checked the wiring just to make sure, this is what I have

Cut Pink blue is hooked into the pink leading into the CDI
Red wire is spliced into Brown with Blue dots with out cutting
Green is spliced into Black with Yellow stripe with out cutting

Now thinking back to my previous post I just realized that when I put the switch on the module I just cut the power to it and thats it. I didn't reconnect the pink wire!!! Thats got me wondering what the pink wire does because correct me if I'm wrong the red is positive + and the green is ground -? so the pink must be whats fooling the CDI? Any way tommorow I will try and hook the pink back to the stub end of the pink and put a line on the inside of the pulley with a marker to see how far the belt is traveling. Thanks

Old 09-11-2003, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

I would remove the module completely. Wire it back up normal. Then you will know for sure if that is what the problem is. My two guesses were the belt and the module. You ruled the belt out.

Old 09-11-2003, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

What is the Brown with Blue dots wire? I have an 02 650 and it desn't have it. I just looked.

Also, there isn't one on the schematic diagram. Do you have a canadian 650?

Do what Kiss says and take it completely off. Stop fooling with the clutch, that wouldn't do this. Chokes dont affect the machine at higher throttle.

Recheck your Module wiring. The DG Module uses the yellow wire with a red stripe for +.

I hope your CDI isn't dead now. That is kindof an ugly thought.

Old 09-11-2003, 02:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

nyroc the brown with the blue dots can be found comeing out of the fuse box mine was visable about four inchs back at the transparent connector. I called Ted at Naber's and he said this was the positive key switched wire. Also it was built in Lincoln, NE. It was one of the first ones made so maybe it's different.

Quick Reply: 650 new belt lowered top speed!