Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 new belt lowered top speed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 08:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 650 new belt lowered top speed!

The pink wire ( to my knowledge ) is the speed senser ??? if it is not connected, it will do as you describe... when I did the module testing, & I ran with no module, I would reconnect the pink wire... otherwise the CDI will get no signal ( fooled or otherwise )... this may be your problem...

I haven't heard of anyone frying thier CDI ( lately ) with these modules...WAM

Old 09-11-2003, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

Cisco1, try your cdi on another Prairie and see how it works. I wouldn't try theirs on yours, you don't want to damage another one if there is a problem. Call up nabors and tell him to have the guy that designed the module to call you and help you out, that's what DG does for his customers.

Old 09-11-2003, 05:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

UPDATE!!! This afternoon I went out and completely removed the Naber Module and hooked the Pink wire back up and guess what............it ran just fine! I hit 62 and no surge. My only problem is that now I miss that intial lauch well anyway I found the problem thanks to the help of you guys on this site. I had it hooked up exactly like the instructions stated but I am curious as to why my wiring is different than some other 02 Prairies. That could possibly be the problem anyway I am giveing Ted a call today to see what we can work out. If the Naber doesn't work out how much is the Holeshot Module? And has anyone had the same problem that I have had? Thanks again for the insight!! Cisco..

Old 09-11-2003, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

CISCO1... if the the switch was on, on the module, were you still getting the surge, it's my understanding, that when the switch is turned off, the duel pole switch ( or what ever ), needs to reconnect the pink wire back to it's self... unless I'm misunderstanding, & that is not the case, the module is working properly, & you may just have the switch wired improperly...

I have a 1st generation Naber, that I used in the testing, & it seemed to work well...

Best Luck ...WAM

Old 09-11-2003, 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

newbeatle, the machine would surge with the module wired in before I put the switch in and after the switch. But when I wired the switch I forgot to use the other pole to reconnect the pink wire thats why with the module off I still had the surge. It is intersesting that with the switch off and the pink wire not hooked up I had the exact same problem, the surge was identical to that of the switch on but I had more launch with the switch on. It's almost like the module quits working at 30 mph. Thanks

Old 09-12-2003, 04:16 AM
Pro Rider

Cisco,
Here is what you do. Get some connectors with male and female ends that can be attached and taken apart when needed. Have all the wireing on the bike with a female end and the module with male ends. The cut pink wire put a female end on both ends that are cut. Now make a jumper wire with male ends so it can installed in place of the module when it is not there. Also if you decide to unplug the module from the pink wire make sure you take it right out so it does not have power going to it. If you don't have the pink wire attached to the cdi when there is no module the cdi will operate with 10* advance and will backfire at higher rpms. I think you do not have a good connection between your module and the cdi somewhere there, there is nothing getting through to the cdi. Put in place of the module a jumper wire if this gets rid of the backfire then you know there is wireing problem. Also the module should put out at least 3-4 volts out of the blue wire when there is power to it.

If there is no difference then you will have to go back to the choke cables and springs. I have had a world of trouble with the chokes and I think you are having this problem. I think Nyroc has the part # for a longer stronger spring to install on the plungers. You have to make sure the plunger is seated properly in both carbs or one choke will always be on it wont show up on start up but will after it is warmed up. When you have both plungers seated correctly but the choke lever is has slack you can adjust the slack by adjusting the adjuster behind the plastic on the handle bars. Just to recap install the plungers on at a time and test the slack on the choke lever there shouldn't be any slack at all. If there is slack take out one of the plungers on the carbs if the slack goes away then there is round disc in the widest part of the cable assembly that is hanging up. It is a round metal disc that has one cable coming fromt the choke lever to the centre of the disc then there are 2 cables that go to the plungers. If there is slack in the lever when both plungers are installed and no slack when one is taken out then you will have to take up the slack in the adjuster behind the plastic on the handle bars.

I think you are haveing problems with the choke I know I had a heck of a time with that darn choke system. If the module is producing some voltage then that is not the problem you will have to dive into the choke that is where your backfireing is coming from.

Old 09-12-2003, 08:35 AM
Pro Rider

Cisco1, If you still want good take-off power, just save yourself the hassle and get the DG Holeshot. It comes with the connectors and all of the hardware you need to make a 15 minute, water tight installation. All of the connections are at the cdi, not all over the place, and DG's customer service person is the designer, not some sales person that only knows "how great it is" and how much it costs.

Old 09-12-2003, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

Cisco,
I have used all the modules there are and there isn't that much difference what you have is top notch there is no need to have a bunch of holeshots laying around.

Old 09-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

Old 09-12-2003, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: NovaKaw650Sounds like something is wrong with the speed sensor/module system. Check all the wiring; make sure the ground to the module is good and all other connections are good. The symptoms you describe (surging, very low top speed) are precisely what happens if the CDI isn't getting a signal from either a module or the speed sensor.
Like I said......

The Nabor unit is typically a quality item. Talk to Ted, I'm sure he can get you fixed up with another unit if the one you have is defective.

Quick Reply: 650 new belt lowered top speed!