Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Colorado and Utah Ride Report

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 04:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colorado and Utah Ride Report

Spent 2+ weeks in the Colorado Rockies ( Silverton) and the Piaute Trail in Utah,
About as close to ATV Heaven as you can get. There were 2 Prairies and a 660 Grizzley.
We all had a blast . We traded bikes some, and here are my impressions.
Two of the bikes had 27inch mud runners and they sap a lot of power in open trail riding.
They also gear you up, about equal to going from a 4.11 to a 3.50 rear on a pickup truck.
The other Prairie had ATR's which worked really well but the rear tires wore quickly (550 miles in the rocks)
I got a pretty good ding in my stock rims from hitting a rock sideways, but none of us had any tire problems, (read no flats)
All three bikes were jetted for altitude (6000ft to 13000ft) and all ran well, My Dial-A-Jets seemed to do the trick.
IRS versus stright axle THe Grizzley rode better, no question. We rode a lot of fairly fast trails and the Grizzley
kept the punishment down. I still like the low CG of the Prairie and it is a blast on steep uphill switchbacks or downhill for that matter.
I will put up with the harder ride to keep that great handling, some of the IRS ATV's have a seat height of almost 5 inches higher than the Prairie, The price you pay for long travel suspension and high ground clearance.
On the ATR's, The ***** need to be higher and closer togeather to keep the wear down, The new Maxxis Bighorn looks good.
We also rode one day in Moab, Utah along the Colorado River, beautiful scenery, but hot as you know what. Don't go there in August.
We had such a great time that we are making plans for next year , and two of the riders will have new 650 IRS Arctic Cats.
Can't wait to ride one. We will be in Silverton, Colorado on Labor Day week next year, if anyone is interested in joining us,
Maybe we can get a Rally going.

Old 09-14-2003, 03:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't recall saying anytime that I am going to let you ride my New 650 Cat IRS!

Old 09-14-2003, 12:16 PM
Range Rover

Hey bfb650b2

What are buddies for?

Old 09-14-2003, 05:31 PM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Hey Oxygen, Good report on Colorado & Utah, & your perspectives on how the Griz. & Prairies handled the trails out there. If you will , i would like to know where you stayed while you were in these areas, & any thoughts or things you might do differently if you went again.
I had to cancel my trip to the Rocky Mt. Jamboree in Utah,9/15 thru 9/20. Stolen SP600, one of my posts. Like your friends i'm also waiting to take a look & try out the AC650. I also like the looks of the Maxxis Bighorns. Your labor day ride next year is in a beautiful area, i love the rockies , on 2 wheels or 4. I bet you have some good places in Tennesse to ride , its such a beautiful state. Regards, Jerico1

Old 09-14-2003, 10:12 PM
Range Rover

Hi Jerico
We stay at Silver Summit Campground in Silverton , best campground there, but there's a lot of dry camping ( read Free)
3 or 4 miles out of town towards the trailheads. This year we had to trailer the bikes two miles out of town which was a pain.
Silverton may change the law next year so we can ride the bikes from town. Silverton is great, old mining town at 9300 ft elevation
with 13000 ft Mountain Passes all around. Trails are open but rocky and steep and you can see forever
Next year we are going to the Highlander Campground in Lake City for a few days, then on to Silverton and the then the Piaute. On the Piaute Trail, the best choice is probably Marysvale, there is a campground in town and a campground 5 miles north of town
called Big Rock Candy Mountain, more ATV riders at the one in town. Both have trail access and Marysvale is about in the center of the whole trail system.
Everything went well this year, we're just going a month later in the year next year, if Silverton doesn't let us ride from the campground next year, we will do some dry camping, so we can ride from the camp.
We are a friendly bunch, if you can break loose next year, join us.

Old 09-19-2003, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oxygen
Just kidding, of course I'll let you try out my Big-Tall Cat/kawie 650!
But not on the Poughkeepsie Glutch hill climb, where you smacked your left rim up against that Big Rock 3/4 the way up the steep climb. I wish I had taken a photo of you at that spot - the look on your face- is undescribeable.
My 2 cents worth on the taller tires, they are worth it, no matter what elevation you are at. The extra traction is awesome, with no-spinning of the tires but real good gripping of any terrain you will ride on.
Yes, those taller tires do steal HP but not once did I feel the P650 was down on any power. Oxygens P650 had the ATRs & a fuel pack, where the other P650 & Grizz had a fuel pack,warn winch,front luggage storage bag stuffed with misc items & a rear hard case on my P650, with the Grizz with a oversize soft rear bag & both stuff with all sorts of equipment, tools, coolers & rain gear. Without a doubt, both my P650 with the 27" Mudrunners & the Grizz with the 27 inchers were a good 100#'s heavier the Oxygens P650.
I & the Grizz rider met Oxygen in Silverton, had a blast riding the trails on that side of those mountains instead of hitting it from the Lake City side. Saw & rode roads that we have never been on before & got into some even higher country, so far the best we have done is 13,114 ft at Imogene Pass with Oxygen.
From there we went to Moab & like Oxygen said, no place to be in August. We only hit a small section of the Paiute Trails in Marysvale but late next summer we will be back there too & see even more of the Fun Paiute trails.
I have some pictures of our ATVenture on www.webshots.com if any of you want to see the type of country we were in. Just enter "bfb650b2" in the members block & this should take you to my photo album of "atv Trip 2003".
I agree with Oxygen, if any of you can get away next Labor Day weekend, meet us at Silverton & lets go do some really High Rocky Mountain Riding, you will not be Disappionted that you showed up.

Old 09-22-2003, 09:47 AM
Range Rover

Hey Jerico1
Check your PM's

Old 09-22-2003, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

We go to Colorado once a year if I can find the time & money... have been four wheelin ( Jeeps ), snowmobiled... & this year, we rented some quads ( 330 trail blazers, Polaris's )... this year we went just outside of Grand Lake, Labor Day week... near Rocky Mountain National Park... last year it was sleds in November & it was awesome, we went around Cotton Wood pass... 2 years before that it was July, trucks & Tin Cup Pass... the people in Colorado don't know just how good they have it...LOL... the only bad thing for me, is the long drive there & back...WAM

Old 09-22-2003, 01:46 PM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Hey Oxygen, Thanks for the PM. Now you can check your e-mail, LOL. Keep in touch pal.
Regards & Happy Trails,
Jerico1