Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Spring test results "first series"

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 03:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring test results "first series"

Stakk,
Good to hear from you, I too liked the feel of the new P700 I changed my muffler, tires and installed a Nabor module so far the rest will have to wait for a week or more. I still have my race engine that I am working on I will change it to a basic 700 with respect to the crank then rework the bore I would like to try to push it to a 1200 cc if the pistons do not enter the case I will try it. If not then resleeve for an eight hundred cc this will be a good starting point for modds. The clutch is the same as the V force on the P 700 so I will machine it to the same specs I used on the V force it should help to get another 10-15 mph with any luck this quad should be fun to modify.

I rode a AC 650 today and smoked the tires in low range it actually spun the tires to a point where smoke billowed from the tires. In high range it cherped the tires then took off like a scared rabit I don't think it will have as much top end as the Kawi but it sure gets there real quick. Must be a lower gear ratio it rides like a dream handles bumps very well.

Old 09-28-2003, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

In regard's to the Cat 650, I have been thinking the same thing, i saw the weight listed in the magazine test and it was close to 700 lbs dry, so I assumed they would use lower gear ratio's to get the low end they were wanting, a good pipe along with an opened up airbox and jet's and Cat will have a powerful bike here,good new's for the module maker's also as they have another model that their product's will work on.......

Old 09-28-2003, 05:51 PM
Range Rover

I know of one 650 p in particular (with some light engine mods)that i tested until 9.30 last night ....it turned 5.95 in 300'....that would gladly "kick a dog in the ***" for the blue spring that is in it.[/quote]

would you mind posting the times for a stock 650 and the v-force most are just going by a stopwatch
the times for the stock bikes would better show how fast the 5.95 is

Old 09-28-2003, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

reds650 - was that your machine running the 5.95's or was it Bernie V. or someone else?

Old 09-28-2003, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

Stakk,don't forget that the p 700 is also supposed to have the steeper helix cut like the V,so that could change things. as far as the matching weights,I don't have them either,as I have not tested a p 700 yet. Or flyweights in any stock prairie for that matter.
Clutching is very case specific,and not as generalized as some think....in my opinion anyway. You ever hear the old saying regarding clutching(very common with snowmobilers anyways)......"the 10% of racers that do testing for themselves....do 90% of the winning!"

Reds650 ..stock prairies run about 6.40-6.60
stock v's about 6.15-6.25
dirt test track 300'. Traction,etc can change this quite a bit of course.Also remember that a prairie in 4x4 does not spin much,and we are only talking ET here.

Old 09-28-2003, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

Helix,
I would like to thank you for your test comparisons on the 650 as there is untapped speed in the preparation of the clutches and most of all what will work with a Prairie does not necessarily work for the V. Since a guru of clutches like yourself confirms testing I have done I thank you keep up the good work. Since I have the new Prairie I will try to accomplish the same results that I produced with my 650 I will let you know how things work out.

Old 09-28-2003, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

IM finally home and on a real computer. Finished up the testing Saturday, "yesterday". I didnt get to perform tire, belt or secondary spring test because it started raining and messed up the track conditions. Like I said, look for a full report tomorrow after I compile all the data.

Helix, the Dalton blue proved to be a fairly quick spring but I lost on top end and feels flat on the trail between 25-40mph "in my P650". I also didnt like the increased downshifting it has. When I rode it in the rocky creek bed we only traveled 3-5mph. When I hit a rock,bump, log or whatever and it knocked my thumb off the throttle it was like putting on the brakes. I hated that. Like you said, its for a Vforce and unfortunatly the Vforce didnt show up. I did like the Dalton P/W spring very much for an all around trail spring.

BTW, my best times at 300' was 6.28sec with the EPI Red and the Dalton B/W. This was in 4wd mode.

I have already said more than I had planned on so look for the my results tomorrow.

Tim

Old 04-10-2004, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

When you consider the average rider experiences mud, general trail riding, and does some utility work with their Prairie 650, "What Primary Spring would you say is best-Dalton P/W, EPI Brite Green, or EPI RED?
THANKS SO MUCH!
CLUTCHHAMMER

Old 04-10-2004, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

If you are running stock size tires, I would go with the Dalton plain/white stripe, if you are running 26 inch or bigger go with the dalton blue........

Old 04-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am running 26" MUD LITES, "What do you think?"

Quick Reply: Spring test results "first series"