Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Front ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 05:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front ball joints

I was changing my tires the other day and noticed that they had alot of movement in them so i ordered a new balljoint and installed it. The problem is not in the joint its in the hole thats in the spindle where the ball goes in it. Has anyone had this problem cause its on both sides now. The spindles are over $100 U.S. each. I thought that maybe i could drill out this hole and put in a steel sleave or something -anyone have any ideas?

Old 09-27-2003, 12:36 AM
Range Rover

Havn't seen it on a quad but have seen it on a car.
What causes it is the nut's/bolt's loosen and wollow out the hole by barely moving and grinding away in there gotta ck and make sure all the bolts that have that much stress on them are tight very often especially on an atv or off road use vehicle cause all that bouncing and jolting the machine around will cause bolts and nuts to loosen up and cause damage like that. Don't or cant think of any other reason it would do this cept the bolts/nuts were loose.
Also can't think of any other way of fixing those spindle's with out replacing them may be able to sleeve them some how but the thing is you would need to bore it out large enough then sleeve it with something hard enough and make sure what every you sleeve it with is not bigger than the nut on the bottom as to let the nut pull the sleeve out and you would be screwed if you were riding when this happened may be able to bore it out sleeve it with something very strong and make sure you put a big washer between the nut and spindle and between the spindle and ball joint also.
Iono thats the best idea I could think of.
Cya Doc

Old 09-27-2003, 04:53 PM
Range Rover

thanks Doc. i think ill just get some new one's. I ride fast and rough some times. I hope every one reads this because i have always done my own work but, i have not thought to check these bolts and its going to cost . Thanks agian!!