Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Bad Plastics???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 12:55 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Plastics???

Have any of you guys had problems with p650 plastics? I was out biking with a couple of buddies through some trails that got stirred up from the recent hurricane we had... I climbing up a hill with my buddy beside me when pop I hear this noise?? I look down my right front fender is tore across under the key.. the molding is up in the air.. The rear fender is pushed in... I look back and here is a tree branch sticking out...!! !@#$... What the hell... I never even hit it hard?? Are the plastics that weak on 650's?
What if it was winter? Would the bike shatter as soon as I rub something??? This has me boggled? Has anyone experienced this.. Is their a recall? Who should I talk too? I have 2 and half year warranty on the bike? Would any of this be covered? Is there a part # for this front section? I'm so upset.. Sorry..
Any help would be cool.. Thanx

Old 10-02-2003, 10:23 AM
Range Rover
Default Bad Plastics???

Yeah....the plastics can be that weak. Most manufacturers are constantly trying to shave weight from quads (the new Prairie 700 is actually 2 pound lighter than the 650).

I've always wished that manufacturers would impliment an after-sale line of more sturdy parts such as plastic. My p650 could easily handle heavier plastic and I'd certainly buy it were it available.

Old 10-02-2003, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default Bad Plastics???

The black Plastic is WORSE. Sorry to bear bad news. On the up side, the bike ROCKS! It is all good!

Old 10-02-2003, 02:23 PM
Trailblazer
Default Bad Plastics???

I got the screw driver out and 10mm wrench and adjusted the plastics.. Then I managed to seal the two broken pieces up temporary with good ole duct Tape.. I further investigated where the fender broke in half.. The second last screw hole for the molding coming from the front tore right across to just under the shift lever and down.. Might have been tightened to much where the molding bolts to and was split there??? I'm going to the dealer for second service and see if they can do anything for me under warranty as a defect? who knows I might get lucky.. I hate to see if it was winter time.. major damage... Anyone have a green front plastic for sale? Just in case? Dealer wants $500.00.. Thanks
Tyrann

Old 10-02-2003, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default Bad Plastics???

I have red, rear plastic, and red center plastic. No frt.

Old 10-03-2003, 11:10 PM
Range Rover
Default Bad Plastics???

Tyrann, there is no way just the front plastic is that much. I just replaced all my plastic with the new camo pattern for the 700. Out the door it was $438. I think the front piece is like $180 or so. Don't get screwed check the price on ronayers .com and their price and see if your dealer will match it. If not you'll atleast have something to go by. Good luck on finding used plastic!!

Old 10-04-2003, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default Bad Plastics???

I Also live in Canada and I think that might be cheapest at the dealer.. The guy at the dealer never sold any yet I was the first customer to ask..I think maybe I will shop around for a front clip for my beast.. Maybe I can convice the wife to go camo.. Shes not into it at all at the moment.. How hard is it to remove the front plastic anyway? Or should I get the dealer to do it? I'm a mechanic not a Body Man.. LOL! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Although I did buy some Camo Duck Tape for emergency..
Thanks..

Old 10-04-2003, 09:47 PM
Range Rover
Default Bad Plastics???

very easy to replace. good luck convincing the wifey to go for it.

Old 10-04-2003, 10:03 PM
Range Rover
Default Bad Plastics???

Just in case anyone is interested, i have my rear plastic (green) for sale, it's been off my 650 close to a year, i replaced mine with camo as well.

Old 10-04-2003, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Bad Plastics???

I had the exact same problem with my brother in law's 650, I borrowed it one night to go out with a friend. I went over a brook that was frozen over, and broke through it, when I came out the other side, the plastic was cracked right below the key all the way out to the black trim plastic. I paid $480 with taxes here at Sleds N Treads in Sussex, NB for a new front clip. I will never borrow his bike in the winter again!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Bad Plastics???