Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

V Force Drive Belt Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V Force Drive Belt Noise

I tried pulling something with my V, and stopped when the drive belt started smoking. Now, it is making a God aweful noise when I give it gas. I removed the plastic casing, and saw that the drive belt is pushing up on the front/inside and flapping against it. What could cause this? The belt looks fine. Is this something that I can fix, or should I take it to the shop? Please help.

Old 10-09-2003, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

I only pull stuff on my 650 when I am in low range. You were in low, weren't you? Just kidding. I know there is no low.

My guess is the belt needs to be adjusted or replaced.

You could just get another belt and put it on in 10 minutes with a 27mm ratchet (and a 10mm for the cover). No need to take it to the dealer for that.

I guess there is a possibility you messed something else up, but not likely. Look to make sure the driven pulley isn't hung up somehow and that is is closing up completely. Can you see a flat spot on the belt?

Old 10-10-2003, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer

There is only a small worn spot on each side of the belt. Probably from slipping. Should the clutch be squeezing all the way in on the sides of the belt? It is pushing the belt up, and making it jump off the inner wall of the clutch. I think I may have stretched the belt. Either way, I am going to try replacing the belt before taking it in to the shop. Is there a way to put more tension on the belt?

Old 10-10-2003, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

You adjust it by changing shims in the secondary. All the CVT components are just like the Prairie. The instructions are on my website. The only difference that matters, is the Prairie 650 belt width is narrower. The torques and procedures are the same, including a pulley squeezer you have to make out of hardware store stuff ($5).

If your belt can come off, maybe there is a chunk of rubber jamming the secondary. Maybe it is just stretched. You might not be able to adjust it far enough if the belt is stretched.

A new belt is not a bad buy. Just get one. If it turns out you don't need the new belt, just save it for later when you do need it.

Old 10-11-2003, 12:20 PM
Trailblazer

The bad thing is, that new belt is $150. I checked it out again today, and found a worn spot on the current belt. I think this may be why it is jumping. It is not coming completely off, just jumping on the inside wall of the clutch. Can this bbelt be worn back smooth, or do I need the new belt?