Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

750 Ripped Up NY

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 750 Ripped Up NY

I had a chance to get away this weekend with some buddies to up state NY (Brandingham Lake/Tugg Hill). My Machine ran great all weekend long. We put over 150 miles in a day an half.

There wasn't a machine that could touch the 750! I topped out once at 77 mph. I have to try something different with my tires. At about 68 mph. it starts to shake and only gets worst as you go faster. I have had the tires balanced but it really didn't help to much. I run ATR's and was thinking about trying a bais tire instead (Alltrac). Maybe this will help? If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. When I would pass someone they said it looked like I was rowing my machine it was shaking so much. I know I can get at least 80 mph. but I don't think I can hold on to the handle bars!

If I would ride my machine everyday for a hour straight for a month I would have forearms the size of Popeye! It has so much torque throughout the throttle it is unreal. I could bust the tires loose at 30 to 35 mph. My buddies didn't really like eating rocks to much though. I could loft the front end going down hill which was pretty cool too!

My machine never once got close to 200* It ran nice and cool all weekend. I ran it pretty hard sometimes to see if I could get it hotter but never above 200* We would ride for 15 - 20 miles straight as fast as you could go and nothing. We found some nice slow/stop mudhole trails where I could see how she ran in 4WD but nothing. Boy does it throw a nice mud roastertail in 4WD! It also climbs hills like a goat, there are a few pictures of me climbing so sandy hill climbs on my page if anyone is interested. They have to be approved first.

There is only one thing I can complain about and that it is LOUD! Now with the bore kit it really seems to have a more crisp and cracky sound. The packing was coming out of my new silencer already with at about 10 hours on it.

The dial a jets worked great too. When I got up NY and warmed up my machine it seemed alittle rich on top so I opened up the dial a jets one click and it straighten right out and was fine the rest of the weekend. I am very pleased with them. They make fine tuning some much easier. Now that I am back home just one click closed and I am ready to.

To some it up why can't Kawasaki make a 750 or 800cc machine that will do 80 mph and have unbelievable torque? Maybe if they had a waiver we could sign they would think about it!!!!

Old 10-28-2003, 07:33 AM
Range Rover
Default 750 Ripped Up NY

I have to wonder if the shaking your getting is from tires or something being out of true. the first thing to think about , is the shake in the handle bars or the seat of your pants? if will help to know witch end to start when looking for trouble. if its in the seat of your pants, jack up the rear to get the tires off the ground and check run out on the axle and rims. if you have something bent , it will show up here. and as for the front you have to look at the drive shaft angle and the cv joints, if the angle is to great because of a lift kit or to much front spring it can generate all kinds of shake. also check runout on the rims, it could reveal a bad hub or bent spindle. good luck Yetti

Old 10-28-2003, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default 750 Ripped Up NY

Maybe it is him shaking, I would probably make the quad shake out of fear or excitement or both.

Old 10-28-2003, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default 750 Ripped Up NY

Wildwill;

Sounds like you have that monster dialed in.....

your at 175f---180r, with the dial-a-jet????

That is the wind making it shake, you need a nose comb on it.....lol

Good luck.

Old 10-28-2003, 03:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 750 Ripped Up NY

That beast sounds like ALLOT of fun!!

Make sure that shaking isnt from mud gathered on the inside of the rims, throwing your tires balance off.

BIgger.

Old 10-29-2003, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default 750 Ripped Up NY

Yetti,
Thanks for the tips! I have my springs pretty tight in the front end, so maybe that will be starting point. I know the shake is coming from the front, I noticed if I was going around a slight turn it got better. It shakes worst on pavement then dirt. The front shafts are probably not balanced and not suppose to go that fast? Alltoys has gone well beyond with no problems, so there could be an answer.

NYROC,
We are planning a trip to NY in April when the trails open back up to "Wheelers". I would love to give you the chance to try it out for yourself! It is one heck of a rush. All my buddies have riden it and say it is like a asmusement ride and that I have to be touched in the head, hense the nickname WILDTHANG!

Shotgun,
Yeh that seems to work best with my 2002 airbox. I am in the process of modding a 2003 which I hear works much better! I will be using the dial a jet in that one also. A nose cone would be nice there really isn't anything aerodinamic(?) about the Prairie!!

BB,
No mud in rims, I checked.
Thanks

Old 10-29-2003, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default 750 Ripped Up NY

W.W.... I've done alot of high speed running with several different tire / wheel combos... tried balancing... my best fix todate, is fine tuning the front tire pressure ( made more difference than spin balancing )... I need to run about 3 - 3.5 psi in my ATR's to get them smooth at high speed... but I don't like the pressure that low for agressive riding...

K.O.D. has been saying all along, that he likes the stock Dunflats for drag racing... I have to admit, that my stockers are the smoothest high speed tires ( that I've tested )... I still want to see what the new Goodyear radials will do on the fronts... I've been very impressed with the rears... WAM

Old 10-30-2003, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default 750 Ripped Up NY

I had the same problem with my prairie. I found the problem to be that the tires aint like car tires. They are not perfectly true and when you go faster the tires expand some making them even worse. Some times you get lucky and get a set of tires that are perfectly round and they dont vibrate. I had all tracks. On my second set the vibration was barely any thing at all. My bro put some on his grizz and his were even better. Some day ATV tires will be made more round. They dont have alot of people pulling high speeds so they dont try to improve them. I suppose if they did that the price would go way up.

Old 10-30-2003, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 750 Ripped Up NY

I agree with Newbeatle...I find that when my P650 starts bouncing/riding rough on smooth pavement (feels like the rear axle is bent or something), the fix always seems to be to add air pressure to my tires to make them even again (I run 5 psi all the way around on my 25 inch mudlites). That always makes them ride reasonably smooth again.

Seems like these atv tires were not made to hold air pressure for a long period of time as I frequently have to add a little bit to keep the air pressure at exactly 5 psi.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2003, 12:11 AM
Range Rover
Default 750 Ripped Up NY

how about front end alinment

Quick Reply: 750 Ripped Up NY