Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Best all around trail tire for P650/700

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 12:32 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best all around trail tire for P650/700

Hey how did it let you post kawieriders all as one word it would not let me the other day?

Edit: Lol it let me do it too! Hmm very eenteresting.

Old 10-29-2003, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: nyroc
There is a post of them on kawieriders, and I have a link to a photo on my frontpage.

DanW, how do they do in the mud? Are they good handling and soft ride on hardpack? Anyone know where you can buy them without buying a new AC650?
I didn't get into deep goop very much, but my first impression is that they are very good. They felt great to me as far as handling and ride. The ride is the best I've experienced yet, but remember, this is the only experience I have with the AC chassis with independent rear end. My other AC has a solid rear end, but it rides like its on a cloud. The Dunlops on it handle well, but they stink as far as traction on anything other than hardpack.

I'm almost certain you will be able to purchase the tire at any AC dealer. You might also call a Goodyear dealer and have them see if they can get it. I'd be surprised if they could not.

I'll be looking for them in a 25" size for my 375, if they make it.

Old 10-30-2003, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

Bad news, Wires on the AC forum says the sidewalls flex so much while cornering that they ride on the sidewall, kinda like the stocker dunlops do. Can you confirm this DanW?

Another thing, newbeetle says that the rears are 26.4" dia and the fronts are 25.3". That is awful. Can anyone confirm this? Don't measure with weight on the tire. It would be nice if the fronts rolled only 2" shorter than the rears. I realize rolling distance has to be measured, but if you were to attempt to calculate it by those diameters, you would find the rolling distance of the fronts is almost 3.5" less. That is lousy.

Old 10-31-2003, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sirmill
Hey Dan,
Where can I find a picture of these Rawhide MT/R's? Just want to check them out.
Thanks
Click on the camera icon below my username. Then, click on the picture of my 650. You should be able to get a good look at the tread. It is very similar to the tread on the Wrangler MTR tire that has become the choice for Jeep and 4x4 truck owners.

I don't know. If you tighten up the preload on the shocks, the handling feels pretty good. I like the suspension soft, however, for articulation in the rough stuff. If I put a set on my 375, I'd have a better feeling for the handling. I like the way they feel, though, and I like the ride. I don't like a sidewall that is too stiff, either, because of the way a softer tire grabs rocks.

I have ridden with the preload at three notches up from the softest setting and at the softest setting. I felt a significant difference in handling between the two settings. I'd imagine that the maximum preload setting would make even more difference.

Old 11-02-2003, 01:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

i like the ITP mud lite, i have them on my(27") p700,450ES thay work vary well as a mud/snow/trail tire

Old 11-02-2003, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

Bad news, Wires on the AC forum says the sidewalls flex so much while cornering that they ride on the sidewall, kinda like the stocker dunlops do. Can you confirm this DanW?

Another thing, newbeetle says that the rears are 26.4" dia and the fronts are 25.3". That is awful. Can anyone confirm this? Don't measure with weight on the tire. It would be nice if the fronts rolled only 2" shorter than the rears. I realize rolling distance has to be measured, but if you were to attempt to calculate it by those diameters, you would find the rolling distance of the fronts is almost 3.5" less. That is lousy.
I recently tried 8 PSI instead of 5 PSI, and first impressions in the back alley is 1000% improvement in steering and handling. Of course, that'll really change the traction, so I'll have to take ehr back out to see how they are in the trails and mud. I'm impressed with the traction, it's just the sidewall roll at 5 PSI was nasty. Anyone want to buy a set of 26" Chrome Rims that have the lips all beat to heck? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-02-2003, 06:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sirmill - Heres my 2 cents..... ITP Mudlites are a good all around tire, BUT I've seen them in action on a P650. They are a soft compound tire. When combined with the power of a V-twin, they had the tendency to tear off chunks of the lugs, when hammering on rocky terrain. I really like my Goodyear mud runners. They have a VERY stiff sidewall, and harder tread compound. I run about 3 psi of air in mine at all times, and compared to the stock Dunflats, you would have to put about 20 psi in them to equal the stiffness of the mudrunners. (Scratch that, they can't compare) They've shown themselves to be a very good all around tire, and seem to wear very well. I also like the ITP 589's
Nyroc- I live in south, central PA. Lets hook up in the spring and I'll take you to Michaux State Park. Awesome riding.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 11-02-2003, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

Wires, is there any chance you could take some unloaded diameter measurements for us, front and back?

Canspel, I would love to go. I might be going to sproul this weekend with BigOne. He has a Vforce and will run circles around me.

Old 11-02-2003, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Nyroc - I'll get in touch with you when the trails open back up in the new year. Alot of technical rock climbing, and trail riding down here.

Old 11-03-2003, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

Wires, is there any chance you could take some unloaded diameter measurements for us, front and back?

Canspel, I would love to go. I might be going to sproul this weekend with BigOne. He has a Vforce and will run circles around me.
Ok, with 8 PSI, and unloaded, I'm getting 25" front, 26" back (that's just eye-balling it with a tape measure). But the front is 1" smaller in diameter.

Quick Reply: Best all around trail tire for P650/700