Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Injury case opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injury case opinions

On 9/11/02 I was hurt at work in which my left leg was allmost taken off. We were working for a water Co. in which they said there was no pressure in a 16" water main. I was to extend the ext. water main for the company. I asked 3 times if there was any pressure, and 3 times I was told go ahead and take off the end cap. Well there was a ton of pressure. The 16" end cap weighed 190lbs and was thrown 25' out of a 7' trench, in which my leg did not slow it down much. Not a drop of water came out, it was all air pressure. In fact, there was so much pressure, the sand that surrounded the pipe, blew my pants apart, took enough skin off both arms and one leg to be the equal of a bad 2nd degree burn. So my skin got sand blasted. Got scratches in both eyes, so now I have blurry sight at night. I came within a minute of being dead, since my head was just in front before it went. I'm doing great now (greatfull I'm still around) but I don't have full movement in my ankle, and will only get worse over time. The water co. has allready admitted fault, but I have no clue what I should get for compansation. If I settle with the water co., I have to repay back workers comp. Which right now, is around $90,000. What do you think would be a reasonable amount I should get from the water co. I didn't really want to get a lawyer. Lawyers have left a bad taste in my mouth from what happen to my father when he got into a motorcycle accident, but that's another story. So for those that might be knowlegeable in this field, what would be a reasonable offer?

Also, for those who know about air pressure. How much air pressure do you think was in the water main? The plug weighed 190lbs, there was a 4x4 piece of wood against it, with a excavator pushing on the wood. It blew it out of the hole 25'. In fact, my brother was sitting in the excavator and he was plucking sand imbedded in his forhead. And again, my leg didn't slow it down much.

Old 11-01-2003, 10:48 PM
Range Rover

well since you don't want to consult with a lawyer, ask for a $1,000,000

Old 11-02-2003, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GE4x4,
While I recognize that there are a fair share of bad apples (bad attorneys) out there, I highly recommend that you consult with a reputable, experienced attorney to help you in this situation. Any good attorney that is worth his salt should be able to help you calculate the amount to settle for while considering items like lost wages (both current wages and your ability to earn a living in the future - just in case you don't recover 100%), pain and suffering, medical bills and future therapy costs, and punitive damages (keep in mind that the allegedly negligent water company may allow someone else to get hurt in the future if they don't learn their lesson this time by paying you a significant settlement). I'd be willing to bet that the water company has an attorney to help them resolve matters like this, and you have the right to hire one too.

Good luck to you and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Old 11-02-2003, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

I agree. You should bite the bullet and speak with a good attorney. While their are plenty of ambulance chasers out there, many are also very good.

Scott W.

Old 11-02-2003, 07:49 AM
Pro Rider

GET A LAWYER. No matter what has happened in the past GET A LAWYER. There are a reason that most people seek legal council in matters like this. They will get you a much better settlement than you would probably get alone. I'd look for at least 150K as a safe bottom number, since the company has admitted thier gross negligence and the fact that you have debilitating injuries that will only get worse with time. A lawyer will get you taped interviews from optometrists(sp) and physical therapists that will explain in full the type of injury you got, the amount of pain and suffering involved, and the effects that it has played in your body, now and in the future. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 11-02-2003, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

I understand that a lawyer can be important, but every time I talk to one, they seemed to be more worried about what they will get, then what they will try to get me. They want a 1/3 of my settlement (which in my case they will get over a $100,000) then they want to get all out of pocket expenses on top of it. I had one lawyer come to my house to get a opinion on what to do. I told him that I was willing to hear the offer from the water co. first, and if I didn't like what he said, I would get a lawyer. But if the offer was a reasonable one, I wanted to know if I could call him with the offer and ask what he thought of it. Thinking that the lawyer would say either it's not enough and I can get you more, or that's a good offer, take it. He said he would do that, and if he said take the offer, he would only ask for a 10% commission. 10% for a 10 min phone call, come on now. I would have no problem signing him if he thought he could get more then what will be offered, but to asked for so much money just for a simple phone call I think is outrageous. This is a open and shut case. Will a lawyer get me that much more then what the water co will offer? That is what I want to know. If the water co offers $200,000, the lawyer would have to get over $300,000 to equal the $200,000 because he take's a 1/3. This is what I'm talking about.

Old 11-02-2003, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

There is a reason lawyers are expensive. It's because they are effective. I can say with 100% certainly that the water company is going to try an lowball you. It's only in their best interest. You can find a qualified lawyer that probably will only take a 25% commision, and no costs on top. If you don't take the settlement and go to court without a lawyer you stant to loose a lot more than 33%. Have you talked to the water company about going to the media? Call up the head of their PR department, and see what they think about it.

Old 11-02-2003, 03:33 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: GE4x4
I understand that a lawyer can be important, but every time I talk to one, they seemed to be more worried about what they will get, then what they will try to get me. They want a 1/3 of my settlement (which in my case they will get over a $100,000) then they want to get all out of pocket expenses on top of it.

And people wonder why that happened outside of that California courthouse? They are a parasite on society!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

There is nobody worth that much per hr if you figure it that way. They are also a very SORE spot with me!

Old 11-02-2003, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Dude, get a lawyer. You're talking about the rest of your life here not just the money you have lost so far and the next couple of years. Take everybodys advise, GET A LAWYER.

Old 11-03-2003, 09:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

GE4x4,
From personal experience I suggest you take some time and see if you can find a lawyer that you might be comfortable with. Ask them a lot of questions. What their percentage is? I Lost My left leg below the knee because of some one not paying attention. I can guarntee they have talked to a lawyer.
If you really don't want to deal with one, then be very careful how you deal with them. What ever offer they make knowing you don't have legal support will be considerably less that what you actually need or should get.

Good Luck with this.

Quick Reply: Injury case opinions