Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lost my front cylinder on my V Force

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost my front cylinder on my V Force

OldDirt Rider:

Are you talking about the eight bolts that you take off that hold the airbox to the carbs? There is also 2 rubber gaskets that go between the airbox and the carbs that are also held in place by the bolts. Am I correct?

Old 11-24-2003, 01:21 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: XC800
OldDirt Rider:

Are you talking about the eight bolts that you take off that hold the airbox to the carbs? There is also 2 rubber gaskets that go between the airbox and the carbs that are also held in place by the bolts. Am I correct?
Yep, those are the ones!

Alan

Old 11-24-2003, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Olddirtrider
I just checked my 700 Prairie and 2 of the bolts were loose! The air box has never been off, it only has 26 hours on it according to the readout on the speedometer! All of 318 miles, my wife really gives it hell as you can see! 12.23 average

We really need to come up with a fix for the potential problem! How about some ideas from you guys!

Alan

Well, I was thinking of using small lock washers, but, that won't work due to the rubber gasket that is sealed between between the air box and the carbs.

Old 11-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: SlowJo
very interesting....i had the same scenario with my v shortly after it got broke in...i also replaced the front spark plug after verifying it had spark.....i could then get it to run but only on one cylinder.....i fussed with it for a day and then took it to the shop, that had it for a month.....they blamed this on water in the system, my v hasn't run right since and i still have a miss in it every so often. Nothing was covered under warranty, they said they found nothing but replaced the sparkplugs

i never even got the bike back until i called and threatened to make kawasaki make my payments since they were dragging their *** on it...the next day the shop called and said it was done.....i'm thinking i got raped on that deal
Check and see if you have any screws missing, and let us know.

Old 11-24-2003, 02:02 PM
Range Rover

I'm rather neurotic about maintenance and such, so ~ 5 weeks ago I was inspecting my P700 before my very first ride and.....lo and behold: a loose bolt in the airbox, next to the air filter. I took pics to send to Kawasaki. Unbelievable.

Old 11-24-2003, 06:31 PM
Range Rover

Well guys I just got back from the dealer and looked at my head! The bolt is holding the one of the valves open and of course that's why it wasn't firing! It really is amazing that the bolt jumped up over the stack and down into the cylinder. The mechanic at the shop said that kawi must have forgotten to locktite that particular bolt. You could see that there was locktite on the other 7 bolts. Interesting that there was red locktite on the bolts and on page 3-27 of the factory service manual it says to use non-permanent thread locker, which would be blue locktite. Maybe there has been other problems with this before!

The bottom line is there needs to be some kind of screen over the tops of the carb stacks! So lets come up with something like a domed shaped screen that can be attached to the top of the stacks to avoid this problem in the future!

Who knows maybe Kawi will come out with a retro!

Alan

Old 11-25-2003, 06:35 PM
Range Rover

Great news guys! The Kawi shop removed the bolt that was stuck under my intake valve, there was no damage to the valve, seat or head. I guess it was because it happened at an extremely low RPM! I am still going to pursue some kind of covers over the Velocity Stacks to prevent anything getting in there again both on my V Force and my 700 Prairie. I guess I was pretty lucky I wasn't screaming up a big dune in Glamis when the bolt took the trip into the front cylinder! Also thanks to having a great dealer Edge Kawi in El Paso!

Alan[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]