Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

One of the BEST P650 & P700 Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 05:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One of the BEST P650 & P700 Modifications

I have done all of the usual modifications to my 2003 P650 including Intake Snorkel, HMF Exhaust, Jet Kit, Black Spring, Progressive Springs, ATR on C-Series and a Holeshot Module. I decided to install a Dial A Jet after reading post from several other Prairie owners and their reviews. All I can say is my bike feels like it has picked up 5 hp and an additional 400 rpm's on the top end. The throttle response is like my Raptor, instant.

I thought my bike was jetted perfect before I installed the Dial A Jet. It ran dead even with all my buddies Prairies and had no hick-up's or stumbles. Somehow the Dial A Jet corrected all the bad transition points in the carbs and now I can pull away from my buddies. It cost me $129 and I bought it at www.thunderproducts.com ask for Lonn he knows his $hit.

By the way, I went back to my original needles and went down 2 main jet sizes and I can now run 77 miles before my fuel light starts to blink instead of the usual 59 miles.

Old 12-04-2003, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard it can be a bit complicated to install a dial-a-jet on the P650. What was your experience with the installation? Difficult/timely/require multiple people to help with the install?

Old 12-04-2003, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

VWBM... I have heard both good & bad about them... I like the ability to quickly change for altitude adjustments ( I'd love nothing better than to take my rippi'n 750 to the Colorado mountains, rather than renting an anemic 330 Polaris ), but have heard from more than one tech that claimed that they were leak pieces of ####... drilling holes in the carbs makes me a little nervous... but I've been giving it some serious thought for the 750... especialy since my local wrench hasn't had any problems with them...keep me posted ...

Old 12-04-2003, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WVBartMan

By the way, I went back to my original needles and went down 2 main jet sizes and I can now run 77 miles before my fuel light starts to blink instead of the usual 59 miles.
What sized main jets are you running now? I may pursue the Dial-a-Jet also.

Old 12-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Trailblazer

The install was easy, I did it by myself. It took an hour to do the install and it was easy. Concerning my jetting, prior to installing the Dial A Jet, I was using a Dynajet 132 in the front carb and a Dynajet 136 in the rear carb and the Dynajet needles. After installing the Dial A Jet I installed a Dynajet 128 in the front carb and a Dynajet 132 in the rear carb and installed my factory OEM needles.

I have read a lot of information on these boards about the Dial A Jet's and a lot of people who do not have them make comments about they heard someone say this or that but have no direct knowledge themselves. I can tell you I have them and love them. I can't see where you can have a leak, no drilling in your carbs is required. The gas feed tube uses your carb bowl drain screw to feed gas to the Dial A Jet and the only hole in your carb is in the intake boot inside your air box. If you don't like the Dial A Jet pull it out and reinstall your drain screw in your carb bowl, the tiny hole in your carb boot will have no effect on your bike.

The drilling that is required is in the floor of your air box to allow for the fuel line and your air line to access your Dial A Jet. Once again, if your not happy with the Dial A Jet, fill the holes with caulk or goop. The one thing I have read is the trouble with most installations is the person does not reduce his main jets after the install, thus this will eliminate the Dial A Jet from working.

Thunder Products explains all of this on there website in great detail for even a country boy like me to understand. I can tell you from first hand experience, I installed it and the only thing I regret is I didn't do it sooner. The bike is running better than it ever did and its out running my buddies Prairies. The bad thing is, my buddies know my secret and they have ordered their Dial A Jet. Hope this helps and if you get one and need help with the install, email me your email address and I'll send you some digital pictures of the install.

Old 12-05-2003, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the good post, WVBartMan. Anybody - I'm running Keihin 145-148's with my mods at sea level and it runs really well. (Stock is 138-142's) I wonder if going back to the stock jets would be lean enough with a Dial-a-Jet?

Old 12-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WVbartman,
Thanx for the very informative post. I have one more question if you don't mind. You stated above that you thought your "bike was jetted perfect before I installed the Dial A Jet. It ran dead even with all my buddies Prairies and had no hick-up's or stumbles." That being the case, what is it about the dial-a-jet that convinced you to ditch your old set up for the new dial-a-jet? (I realize that you are very happy with this product after the fact, I'm just curious to know why you decided to try this product).

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Trailblazer

Scott: I would think that stock jets would be close to perfect for the Dial A Jet with a muffler, air intake snorkel and air filter modification.
Mike: The reason I wanted to try the Dial A Jet is I live in West Virginia and the elevation change from 800 ft to 4,600 ft and the temperature change of 95 in the summer to 15 in the winter makes a difference in performance in the bike. I will also be going to the Pauite Trail next August and wanted to do something that would help all my applications. The truth is even if I rode the same elevation and the same temperature daily, I still think you would see a significant advantage in performance strickly from the way the Dial A Jet injects fuel into the motor. It is as if you have a mini fuel injection system on your bike. The Dial A Jet automatically fine tunes the fuel delivery to make your jetting perfect all the time, completely through all circuits in your carbs. The write up on www.thunderproducts.com about the Dial A Jet explains how it works better than I can, all I can say is all my bikes from this point forward will have one. When I buy my P700 next year and do all the modifications I have done to my P650, instead of buying a Dynajet kit and rejetting, I'm only going to add the Dial A Jet to make up for the better flowing exhaust, snorkel and air filter I will be installing. The savings from not purchasing the Dynajet kit along with the time needed to rejet will more than make up for the cost of the Dial A Jet kit. Hope this helps.

Old 12-05-2003, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

well... you talked me into it( I had been thinking about it anyway, realizing that this application doesn't require drilling your carbs cinched it )... I ordered one for my 750...

Old 12-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

Right now, at this moment in Pittsburgh, PA the best mod would definitely be a snow plow!!!

Quick Reply: One of the BEST P650 & P700 Modifications