Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

shift linkage adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003 | 07:45 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default shift linkage adjustment

I remember seeing from here or from nyrocs old site the procedure for adj the shift linkage. I searched for it here and found nothing and of nyrocs site is gone. Nothing at atvpower either. Does any one know where I can find this? I have a knocking sound on my prarie that I am hearing more and more and was hoping that is it. It is only when moving and on the gas. I heard it every now and then in the beginning and thought it was a rock thrown up hitting something underneath,but hear it a lot lately.

Old 12-11-2003 | 02:24 AM
Pro Rider

Do you get a ratcheting sound and does pop out of gear, hi or low.

Old 12-11-2003 | 04:24 AM
Range Rover

alltoys i get a noise like it's a backlash proplem when you let off gas. I read on here the other day where you guys said i needed to adjust the linkage. It just seems that its something more complicated. I did get to where if i pulled the front up in low and it came back down it would have a cluncking noise as it was trying to jump out of gear . I made a adj. and it fixed the problem,now this is going on. Sorry for just jumping in like this mybe it can help some other's that might be having similiar problems due to wear. Thanks !

Old 12-11-2003 | 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

when my trans, started jumping, making a loud clank, it was under power. You would hear a clank, while under power, a gear going by a gear.

It broke several gears when it finally broke, so adjust your linkage ASAP, if that is in fact, is what is wrong.

Old 12-11-2003 | 08:15 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

yes shotgun that is the noise under a load a loud clunk just every now and then though, although getting more frequent. I remember riding it in high gear for a while and didnt hear anything. But maybe I didnt go far in high I will have to try again. I havent bought a manual yet for this but I need one anyways,anyways, does anyone know if the manual has the procedure?

Old 12-11-2003 | 08:25 PM
Range Rover

JC mine has made a sound like that it when you let off the gas. this don't sound to bad but yours sounds like it needs adj. asap before something gets in a bind from not being fully engaged. Good luck.

Old 12-11-2003 | 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SHOTGUN
when my trans, started jumping, making a loud clank, it was under power. You would hear a clank, while under power, a gear going by a gear.

It broke several gears when it finally broke, so adjust your linkage ASAP, if that is in fact, is what is wrong.
Well thats exactly what i didnt want to hear. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I think thats what happened to mine, low gear doesnt even work for me.
thanks for the info. What did it cost you to fix it?

Old 12-11-2003 | 10:09 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I am still looking for tips on how to do the shift linkage adj. does anyone know where to get it?
I just ordered the manual for my 650 but wonder if its in there

Old 12-12-2003 | 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

Jc82,
You will have to remove the plastic that covers your shift linkage it also houses your batery. You can move your batery with the cables still atached so you can start your bike later on. You will find the shift linkage hooked up to the shifter, undo the nuts on either end of the rod then turn one way or the other till your problem is solved. You can also lift the shift lever up and down to add a futher dimension of fine adjusting as well. If the lever is taller or shorter this will also change the distance the shift rod can be manipulated. You will see once the plastic is removed.

Fix your adjuster very soon as the cost of repairing the gears is astronomical. I had this on my machine I found out to late with the extra power going through my quad I screwed the gears something terrible. The major problem is there is a concave washer under the rod in the trany and if the concave is in wrong from factory it will produce the poping out of gear syndrome. The only way it can be repaired if you can't adjust the shift rod is to pull the motor and the gears are very expensive. Mine were $800 just for gears so make sure you get it adjusted before you have to venture into the gear case.

Old 12-12-2003 | 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

It cost me $1600 to get it fixed, you should only hear the noise in low gear, because in high gear the clutches would slip before the gears unless your way off in adjustment.

Here is how I have learned to adjust mine so it is spot on.

Take off the plastic like Alltoys says. the linkage is at the bottow of the shifter running back to the top of the tramission.

Jack up the back, so both wheels are off the ground

Loosen the set nuts on both ends of the adjusting rod. completely remove the linkage adjustment rod.

By hand shift the tranmission into neutral by turning the shaft on top of the tran. you will be able to turn the wheels freely when it's in neutral. move wheel by hand in both directions, so it will center itself in neutral. Mark this spot, and make sure it doesn't move from this spot when putting adjustment rod back on.

Without moving the linkage on the tranmission, put the rod back on, adjust with the shifting lever in neutral position. turn on the key without starting the bike, the neutral light comes on.

Again, without moving the tranmission from neutral, adjust the rod out until the neutral light goes out. stop as soon as it does. Now turn the rod in the opposite direction until the light goes out, counting as you go.

This is the range of neutral, divide the number of turns between the light going out in both direction by 2. This is the center of neutral on your shifter. adjust the rod that amount of turns.

You should now be at the center of neutral both on you tranmission and on your shifter, which should put in the center of all gears.

This isn't how the book says to do it. but I found this works for me, take if for what it's worth.

Quick Reply: shift linkage adjustment