Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawi clutch/belt reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 03:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kawi clutch/belt reliability?

I was wondering, I have a friend who is looking into maybe getting a 700 prairie, but he wants to make sure it is going to be reliable and strong like his traxter.
Everyone knows that the Yams have the best CVT on the market, but how does the kawi, is it maintenance free like the yams, can it take punishment like the yams, can you get 8-10.000 km's like the yams on a belt. Are they easy to change and what is the price of a belt.
This guy has a traxter and is thinking of trading as his dealer sells both, also how is the ride for 2 people on a 700 prairie, is it smooth like a IRS?
The clutch thing also applies the new 650 CAT, so the more info the better as most of us demand a very tough machine in all ways especially when you pay the money we are. I myself may be looking at a grizzly but I do like the CAT, but I'm nervous about the belts and clutches as they have sensors and crap on them. Any info will be helpful, just don't say you have a whole 2000km's with no problems as that is just a brake in on a belt. 4-8000km's then were' starting to get interesting.
Thanks
02 Traxter XT

Old 12-29-2003, 04:00 PM
Range Rover

The Prairie is very reliable. I have replaced my belt once it was about 80.00. The factory setting is loose So if you adjust the belt when you get it you won't have any problems. This quad cannot be compared to any other because it is truly a SPORT utility. Of course you give up some ride comfort without IRS but you gain a whole lot of fun blasting and sliding through the trails. I have had no problems at all with mine and I ride it hard. If you could see a picture of it you'd think it had been through a war. Take one for a ride at the dealer You'll see!

Old 12-29-2003, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also, how is it on gas compared to grizzly, seeing it is a real twin with 2 carbs. Does it burn more gas than a grizz.
A grizzly with a 5.0 gallon tank of gas gets about 65-70 Miles on a tank.

What's all the having to adjust the belt when you get a prairie, have they fixed this fiasco for 2004, as people like myself don't want to worry about shims and adjustments.

Old 12-29-2003, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

OK, roughly same fuel mileage as comparable big bores.
Belt and clutch life, IMO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, SUCK. A belt is 120$ CDN.Clutches wear prematurely.Repair is costly.
Ride is not as smooth as IRS.

Still beats a BOMB, tho.LOL..............

Old 12-29-2003, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

I just did my first belt replacement after two years of riding. Belt was $67 US and I went to the 700 belt. The belt was not treated well in that I've used it for a lot of pulling and plowing.

What killed it was a (self-induced) oil leak. You know that seemingly unimportant plate behide the drive clutch? Don't run the machine with it removed - it applies pressure to an oil fitting.

If it hadn't been for me getting the belt oiled up, it would have gone until the spring without a problem.

My clutchs look fine and I've not had any problems with them.

Peace,
Sgt_Rock

Old 12-30-2003, 11:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Can anyone else give me some facts on this topic. So far there have been good and bads but that is normal.
Are they a reliable machine 100 miles in the woods, or do you have to carry tools everywhere? Gas mileage is compareable to other big bores, but what is the best mileage out of a tank as the Polaris 700 only gets about 50 miles out of 1 tank, not much at all but it has a small tank too.

Old 12-30-2003, 01:35 PM
Trailblazer

I rode mine 180 miles in one weekend and went through 3 tanks of gas. We rode trails, gravel pits, and mud up to our knees. I rolled it twice (scratched plastic and front rack, seperated shoulder) and had NO PROBLEMS WHAT SO EVER. And i whipped a piped and jetted Griz racing on a dirt road[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]